1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 Durango OBD 1597 HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 05:18 PM
dctaz37
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Durango OBD 1597 HELP

I have a 98 durango and the ABS and parking brake lights are on. I finally got a code reader and it says the error is P1597 Speed Control Switch Always Low. I replaced the rear speed sensor a while back but it didn't help.

Please advise.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:36 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Ck under the dash and look for a 60 way connector. ck the wires to see if they are discolor.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:32 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now when you say you had the code read you mean ODB only correct? Meaning the CEL came on.
You replaced the rear sensor ( On the rear differential ) and the problem stopped? When was that?

If you replaced the rear sensor on the diff and the problem wasnt solved and the wires leading to were fine i suggest bringing your vehicle to a shop with a ABS scanner to narrow down your results. You cannot scan ABS codes yourself, pricey equipment that shops/dealers have...

Old 11-12-2009, 09:54 AM
dctaz37
Professional

I replaced the speed sensor on the rear end in the summer, reset the error, and the ABS and parking brake light came right back on. I returned the sensor to the store.

I'm kind of new to this scanner so I'm not quite sure what you are asking. I hooked my scanner to the connector and ran my software and it came back with the error code 1597.

Two years ago the abs and pbrake lights came on and I replaced the rear speed sensor and the lights went out.

One other problem I had was the abs and parking brake light came on and the engine idled very fast. I determined it had something to do with the brake fuse under the hood. When I removed the fuse it was fine but I had no brake lights. I ended up bypassing the fuse and running a hot wire from another fuse directly to the brake pedal switch. Everything was fine for a year after that.

I haven't looked to the 60 pin connector yet. Please let me know if you have any other ideas. I'm trying to avoid taking it in.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:17 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check the connection harness on the rear diff.

You might have a vacuum leak from a bad check valve on the brake booster causing the high idle. (lil black valve on the booster)

As for the wiring issue, you really need to find the problem and fix it. Just jumping voltage isn't the best way to take care of an issue.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:32 AM
dctaz37
Professional

The harness looks good. The fast idle, check engine, abs and p brake all came on when I plugged the Brake fuse in. I removed the fuse and the problem went away but no brake lights. I'm assuming some short but the wiring is a needle is a hay stack. That is when I ran a direct feed to the brake pedal switch. In troubleshooting the problem I removed the auto start and alarm system to eliminate them as the problem. It was good for a while then the ABS and p brake light came on but no fast idle. Could it be the abs sensors on the front bearings? Is there a way to test this?

Old 11-16-2009, 12:36 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not sure as they are pick up sensors. I think you should take it in unfortunately.

Quick Reply: 98 Durango OBD 1597 HELP