DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Durango (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango-69/)
-   -   Help! Changed Battery now it won't start!! (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango/215124-help-changed-battery-now-it-wont-start.html)

thorze 09-23-2009 05:02 PM

Help! Changed Battery now it won't start!!

98 Durango 5.2L 190,400 miles and YES there is gas in it... LOL!

Okay Battery was dead after sitting two days, got charger out and hit with a 100 amp start and would'nt start. So I left it to charge. Checked back on it and Battery would not take a charge, so I went and got a new one and engine cranks but won't start.

After attempting to start I left the key on, the low fuel light came on and the odometer began blinking??

Also the security light is illuminating even afetr I hit the unlock button

Checked for pressure at the fuel rail and occasional it will shoot out and othertimes it will dribble, I do not hear the pump fire up although the fuel gauge comes up, but not to where it should be??

Relays and fuses in PDC checked and work

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated..Thanks
Carl

shrpshtr325 09-23-2009 05:28 PM

sounds to me like your fuel pump is shot, the gas gauge is built into the same unit so drop that tank and replace it, especially if it has never been done beofre 190k is ALOT more than the pumps are expected to last for

thorze 09-23-2009 05:53 PM

Thanks for the reply
so you don't think it something else, as I had no issues at all before I changed the battery??

Kensai 09-24-2009 02:24 PM

there is a huge 100 amp fuse in teh fuse block under the hood, check to make sure it is not blown.

thorze 09-24-2009 05:15 PM

I checked and it and the only one I found that big was a 140 amp fuse for Alternator, which checks Okay.
Bought the 54.94 pump off Ebay, which is just the pump and not the module, I will check back in with the results....
Thanks for the wisdom guys!:icon_hyper:

hydrashocker 09-25-2009 12:01 AM

Rain fuel psi should be 50 or better.

Sounds like a bad pump and a bad battery.

jj141979 09-26-2009 01:16 AM

Thorze. I have a similar problem with mine. I had the battery die before and MAN I thought CHRISTINE some how posest the Durango!LOL!! The lights were going off and on. Every relay was clicking, the gauges were freaking out!!!! Well got a new battery hooked up, turned key over and all it would do is turn over, no fire! Put key back to off and tried again, it fired right up. Everytime I disconnect the battery for some reason, I always have turn the key to start for a few secounds and than back to off, then to start again and it fires right up. HOPE THIS HELPS!!!

Nofrag 09-26-2009 02:43 AM

There's a reason the security light is blinking. It's because the anti-theft is disabling your durango. What the guy above is talking about, is resetting the anti-theft.

thorze 10-06-2009 10:21 AM

Okay Guys, I got the Pump off ebay and disassembled the module and reinstalled the new pump**CAUTION** this is not an easy job to do as you must modify a couple of things but is very do-able (PM FOR FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS)

I just put the tank in and lifted it enough to check it before I finish the install, cranked on it and nothing, no pressure at the fuel rail and I can not hear the pump pressurize at all.

Could it be the crank position sensor, as I have rechecked all of the relays and they are good.

Any Wisdom would greatly be appreciated!!

hydrashocker 10-06-2009 11:51 PM

You disassembled the module??????? What module and how?

Drop the tank again and check for voltage.