1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help! Help! Help! Couple Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:45 PM
kaylakenna
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! Help! Help! Couple Problems!

Okay all you Durango helpers, I need it! First off, I have a 98 Durango 4X4, 5.2l V8. Okay, my first issue, well, question is, Is the reverse light switch ONLY available through a dealer? I have looked at a lot of auto parts stores and nobody seems to have on, they have it for the Rams, but not the durangos, I had him look it up to see if one for a 98 Ram would work, since it has the same motor, and alas, they have different transmissions, so no go. I can't find that part anywhere.

Second, my brake light is on. The brakes have been changed all around, bled...etc...yet I still have a brake light. I can't get it inspected without these two problems being fixed. I'm at my wits end with this vehicle!! I love it love it love it, but it's driving me crazy! Please help

Old 11-04-2010, 05:26 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the brake light could be low fluid, bad speed sensor on the rear axle, or a bad speed sensor on the output shaft of the transmission, or the e-brake not releasing all the way(just putting that one out there, iv seen it happen)

on the backup lights did you check the fuses that they run off of, that is a much more likely problem than the backup light switch, im not sure if it is dealer only, ill check up on it and get back to you in the meantime check the fuses

seems most places refer to it as a nuetral saftey switch(i thought that was just the term for the later model years, apparently not) but you can get it from napa for $20, just search for part # ECH NS5875

Last edited by shrpshtr325; 11-04-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:22 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Auto Zone:

Part Number:
CR446

NAPA:

Part Number: ECH NS5875

$18.77

Most likely the brake light being on is a bad E-brake switch located on top of the emergency brake when it comes to rest. Reach down and pull the E-brake up and see if the light goes out. If the light goes out then the switch may need to be adjusted closer down so it will be depressed when the brake is in the released (upper) position, or the spring is warn and needs to be replaced to ensure the peddle is all the way up.

If nothing changes run continuity test through the switch to see it it is bad and if there is a constant charge going through then replace the switch.

Also, could be a bad brake hydraulic pressure switch.

RED BRAKE WARNING LAMP
A red warning lamp is used for the service brake
portion of the hydraulic system. The lamp is located
in the instrument cluster. The red warning light
alerts the driver if a pressure differential exists
between the front and rear hydraulic systems or the
parking brakes are applied.
The lamp is turned on momentarily when the ignition
switch is turn to the on position. This is a self
test to verify the lamp is operational.

Quick Reply: Help! Help! Help! Couple Problems!