Old 10-16-2009, 09:59 PM
M0PARTS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question After hot no crank & trans slipping 98 durango

Hi

Great Forum here!

I got a 1998 Durango SLT 5.2

When cold it starts and shifts great.

After its up to temperature its starts slipping in all gears including reverse and if you shut it off it won't start no click.
If i jump the starter it starts fine but still slipping, sometimes after giving the throttle a few revs it engages and will go for a bit but then just slips.
When slipping in reverse and sometimes other gears you can here what sounds like air in the lines like when your low on power steering fluid.

The fluid is full maybe overfilled a bit.

Im not familiar with these tranny's and don't think they have a separate computer and suspect it to have one shared and that its posibly the problem because its happening at the same time.

I can't see the frictions and steels being cooked because before operation during warm up phase before the O2's kick in it shifts all gears fine and will start no problem.

I've done some searching around here and come up with many possibilities that i will be tackling soon, just wondering if others have had this same problem and the computer solved it?

Also wondering if bad grounds or hot leads could cause solenoids to not full engage?

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Last edited by M0PARTS; 10-16-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:21 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the slipping in the trans is not a computer issue, your transmission is not electronically controlled, it functions mechanically off hydraulic pressure and band tension and other stuff (im not 100% sure how it works but i know its not computer based, only the 4.7lengine has an electronically controlled transmission and that wasnt available till 2000) the first thing would be a fluid/filter change on the transmission and adjust the bands to try and correct the slipping

on the no start when warm have you checked sensors, make sure they are all plugged in and all the insulation is there, they are not touching the headers/ect (anything hot really) and there are no shorts in the any of the electrical,

also how old is the battery?? and when was the last tune-up performed on this truck?, and which engine do you have? and if you happen to know, which transmission do you have???

Old 10-16-2009, 11:24 PM
M0PARTS

I have not started diagnosing yet just getting a list of whats wrong with the truck first, just got it.

I'm confused as to how a sensor would stop the solenoid from engaging, but than again I'm not familiar with this truck nor have i taken a look at the starter circuit diagram yet.

It's a 5.2 new battery, good connections, tune up???,

The parts identification label in the glove box is torn out so don't know what tranny.

What tranny options did they have and are the distinguishable by the pan shape?

Thanks for the input thus far

Old 10-17-2009, 12:11 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

1998 was the first year of the durango's. The truck only came with a 4x4 trans. You have a 46RE trans. There a TSB 21-08-99 for the buzzing sound you are hearing. You could have a electronic governor problem, or 3/4 shift solenoid circuit. There also could be a problem with the clutches too. But with starting problem, bad ground or battery lead from the battery. You'll need to do a voltage drop from the battery to the starter.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:15 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Starter could be going out as they tend to do what you are explaining. As for the trans, +1 on the electronic governor and adjust your bands. Make sure your filter is installed correctly so as not to suck air.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:05 PM
M0PARTS

Wow this place ROCKS! Thanks

I forgot to mention it has a brand new starter and no problem at all jumping it through the wheel well with a screw driver. I think this is why the previous owner got rid of it fed up.

Did these by chance have a factory security system wondering if that might be it in the computer. I think I'll get a used one for the hell of it, cause i can get one cheaper than the time it would take to diagnosis it.

One Fluid, Filter, Adjustment and Research on electronic governor coming up!

I thought these were mechanical trannies not electronic??
Is the govener in the tranny and is this how they govern it by restricting engagement instead of fuel and/or timing?

I'm also curious now if the filter change was done due to band adjustment being out and the filter was not installed properly? Thanks for that one.

Last edited by M0PARTS; 10-17-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:56 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

There is an OEM alarm in every D.

Considering that you can jump the solenoid with no issues, have you checked the starter relay? It is located under the hood drivers side PDC. You can swap with another one with the same part number. Most of them are the same part number so just switch one to see if thats the issue.

The 46RE and 44RE are mostly mechanical although there are a few electrical components. No, the governor restrict PSI and engagement of the shift solenoids and also reads to the ABS in some ways. With you having the 5.2L I'm sure you have the 44RE and not the 46RE as master is saying (although master is a really great trans guy, no offense). Erratic engagement can also be contributed to the transmission output sensor and rear axle sensor.

Make sure you ONLY INSTALL ATF+3 or ATF+4 transmission fluid only! Adjust the bands and replace the filter.

To reset the factory alarm:
Lock the doors manually, Close doors, last door to lock and close is the drivers side, put key into the drivers side door and fully turn the key manually all the way to the left then all the way to the right, turn key to middle and pull the key out, open the drivers door.

It could be the PCM and you can get a pre-flashed replacement from Ebay for cheap. (Yes they must be flashed before installation with your year, vin# and mileage)

Old 10-18-2009, 08:54 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
There is an OEM alarm in every D.

hydra, not every single D has an alarm, i dont have one in mine, of course i am not counting the panic button as an alarm, bc IMO an alarm should activate even if you are not there to trigger it

Old 10-18-2009, 09:34 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Correct.

When picking a replacement PCM for example, you need to check Cali vs Fed, Alarm vs Non-Alarm and get the correct year.

IndyD

Old 10-19-2009, 05:06 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Well ya learn something new every day. I just went into the Service Manual and there are 2 different CTM's.

1. Base modle with not VTSS (alarm and others)
2. High-line version with VTSS and other options.

I did find this out:
However, if the
high-line CTM requires replacement, the VTSS feature
must be enabled in the new CTM using a DRB
scan tool. Refer to the Vehicle Theft Security System
menu item on the DRB scan tool for the procedures.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: After hot no crank & trans slipping 98 durango