1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Broken

Old 02-27-2010, 02:48 PM
bain64
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken

Well fix one problem, cause another.. I replaced the PCV valve, and looked over at the drivers side of the motor and saw what looked like a second valve. I pulled on it a bit and the plastic broke. The hose runs from there to the air intake just before the throttle body. I'm heading to the auto store now but fear that it will be a dealer only part. Any ideas on how to remove it once i get the part? I tried some pliers but the thing just falls apart when pulled on. Can i remove that rubber o-ring around it? I pried on it with a screwdriver some but didn't feel like i was getting anywhere..

Name:  DSC00361.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  219.0 KB

Old 02-27-2010, 03:39 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Get a flat head screw driver and pry the whole thing out careful not to drop any pieces inside. That is a breather and not a second PCV valve, you have to go to the dealer and get a new one. Also pick up new graments while your there. Also that hose "if you need to replace it" is a dealer item as well as it is a pre-bent hose.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:02 PM
bain64
Veteran

OK, got the parts from the dealer. But I can't get the darn thing out. It will spin around in the grommet, but if I try to pull it out with pliers small pieces break off. Back outside to mess with it some more..

Old 02-27-2010, 05:37 PM
bain64
Veteran

Got it out finally. I had to completely break the plastic ring off the elbow and allow it to fall into the valve cover, and then tear the grommet to get it to release and then pull the elbow out. I ended up with a few tiny fragments inside of the valve covers, I used my finger to touch and pull out everything I could. Crazy how a "simple" job of pulling out an elbow and replacing can be so rough. I think if it had been the middle of summer instead of winter it would have been a quick job.

Anyways lesson of the day: Don't touch the breather on the driver's side valve cover, it is very brittle!

I'll try and stop in to say hello more often on the Durango side of the forum, instead of just showing up when I have problems. It is the wife's ride so I usually hang out in the Dakota section.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:57 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bain64
Anyways lesson of the day: Don't touch the breather on the driver's side valve cover, it is very brittle!

Not quite. 2000-2003 The drivers side **IS** the PCV valve. The similar plastic breather elbow you broke is on the passenger side.

FWIW, most may not want tiny (or larger) pieces of plastic in the heads. Either take the valve cover off and take it out OR link the two broken sections with a small piece of hose. Nothing goes through the but air and that would be fine.

IndyDurango

Old 02-28-2010, 02:26 AM
bain64
Veteran

The 99 with the 318, which we have, the breather is on the drivers side. The PCV valve is on the passengers side. I did not want any pieces in the valve cover either, but since i kept trying to pull it out with pliers this is what happened. If i were to do it again, and did not want to spend the time removing the valve cover (and all other hoses in the way), breaking the plastic upper ring off the elbow with a screwdriver and allowing the elbow to drop into the valve cover just enough to allow removal of the grommet that holds it in place would be the most efficient method. This is the method that used, I just would not have kept trying to pull it out with pliers. Every pull I made, the plastic would break exactly where I had the pliers, no matter what kind of prying action I applied with a screwdriver while pulling.

Last edited by bain64; 02-28-2010 at 02:33 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:41 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bain64
The 99 with the 318, which we have, the breather is on the drivers side. The PCV valve is on the passengers side.
98 & 99s are that way. Opposite of the 2000+

IndyD

Old 02-28-2010, 07:20 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Their a PITA to get out when they are brittle as I ran into the same issue......A picture says a thousand words!....LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Broken