1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

4x4 problem plz help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Dodge FL Durango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 4x4 problem plz help!!!

i have 2000 dodge durango 4x4 slt with 4.7. my control arm for 4x4 transfer is bent and tings on driveshaft so i removed it, thus i have to keep crawling under it and inserting in to two brackets to engage 4x4.long story short once i am under it and wife is moveing 4x4 lever inside to engage 4x4 it works. the problem i am haveing is that i cant get into 4x4 low. 4x4 high works but in florida there is alot of sugar sand and i need the power of 4x4 low.if anyone knows why this is not working please help me. this is turning into a headache when we go offroad cause we usally bring my son with so we cant go down alot of roads due to the 4x4 issue. thanks everybody.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:11 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not just go get it fixed correctly?

When the temp fix becomes the everyday fix it is no longer temp. To top it off, when the "easier" solution is no longer easy these both point to it being past time to get it fixed correctly.

Sorry to spoil the backyard underbody crawl party. Just saying.

Keep messing with it and it is going to break, fail, hurt someone or worse. Again, just saying. Sorry.

IndyD

Old 05-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Dodge FL Durango

I would of had it fixed already its just that i cant find the control arm anywhere local and the dealership wants a arm an leg for it..... i dont go offroad enough for it to be a absolute need right now i just need to find out where i can order it online if you know that would be very helpfull.also i wanted to know if there is a certain process that you have to do in order to engage 4x4 low. thanks for the reply i am very thankful for your help.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:49 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

in order to get 4x4 low you usually need to be stopped, and put the transmission in nuetral, then shift into 4x4 low, and then put it back in gear and go, at least thats the procedure for mine (i have the electronic shift tho)

Old 05-20-2010, 11:53 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You can find them in the junk yards! Just crawl under one with a floor shifter and remove the Adjustable Linkage Rod and don't forget the rubber clasps and other hardware.

They made 2 transfer cases. You should have a NV231 so ensure you get the right rod, ect. On the transfer case you will see a round (about 2 inch) tag on the back side up about half way. Ensure the correct model as yours and grab the linkage.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Dodge FL Durango

thanks everyone for the reply's to my post i'm just gonna keep trying junk yards for the 4x4 control arm.thats where i found the fuel filler neck at for 10 bucks looked like it was just replaced on the durango that was totaled still had barcode paper on it.the dealership wanted 310 complete without puttunig it on so i did myself.Anyway shrpshtr 325 i will try doing that to put my 4x4 low on.thanks alot everybody.

Quick Reply: 4x4 problem plz help!!!