1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Trouble Shooting a Clicking Sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 08:40 PM
samsammy23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble Shooting a Clicking Sound

Can I get some help with trouble shooting my Durango? The specs are 2001 R/T with 134,000 miles. The symptoms are a clicking sound going in forward and reverse but only when using the accelerator. There is no side to side play in the wheels. At times, there is some vibration in the steering wheel. I think it is the CV joints. Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:30 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

check the universal joints on the driveshafts, they could be loose/worn

Old 05-05-2010, 12:09 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Clicking especially during turning is a CV half shaft.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:46 PM
samsammy23

I have the truck on jacks and ran it through the motions. The truck does not make any noise as it does when running it on the street. Is this normal for probable CV joint problems?
Thanks.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:18 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

Usually just jacking up a vehicle and running it will not produce the same effect as running on the road. The vehicle will need some kind of force or pressure to simulate that. You should be able to check cv or u-joints for excessive play by putting the vehicle in neutral with engine off and on jackstands. Put your hands on the driveshafts and try to turn and push them up or down, if there is play felt there is your problem. Same thing for cv joints, take your hand on the half shaft and do the same thing.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:22 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by samsammy23
the symptoms are a clicking sound going in forward and reverse but only when using the accelerator.
Other than when pulled by gravity then, anytime it is actually running?

Name:  icon_confused.gif
Views: 23
Size:  683 Bytes

Old 05-12-2010, 12:54 PM
samsammy23

It does not click when I am not giving it gas. It just clicks when giving it gas.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:47 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

So when Torque is applied (throttle depressed) then the clicking starts, but when you let off (no torque) it stops?

Check your U-Joints and CV's. Lastly a Wheel Bearing.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:07 AM
Chris_Gorham
Professional

given that you mentioned that it only happened when you press the accelerator and that this is a clicking sound - then 9.9 / 10 this is one or both of you're exhaust manifolds is blowing...

common D problem and yes I know a funny sound to associate it with this - but I've had it happen to me and this is the story...

removing the manifolds usually results in a stud breaking off so order some new ones just in case - better leave this one to the dealer in fact. Worst case sceario is that the head has to come off to remove the stud but most of the time they weld a bolt onto the end of it and apply liberal amounts of UB40

Chris

Last edited by Chris_Gorham; 05-14-2010 at 03:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-14-2010, 12:54 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

Originally Posted by Chris_Gorham
given that you mentioned that it only happened when you press the accelerator and that this is a clicking sound - then 9.9 / 10 this is one or both of you're exhaust manifolds is blowing...

common D problem and yes I know a funny sound to associate it with this - but I've had it happen to me and this is the story...

removing the manifolds usually results in a stud breaking off so order some new ones just in case - better leave this one to the dealer in fact. Worst case sceario is that the head has to come off to remove the stud but most of the time they weld a bolt onto the end of it and apply liberal amounts of UB40

Chris
He should be able to hear that when he is at an idle and revving it up. He also stated that sometimes he gets a vibration in the steering wheel which would be a good symptom of a CV joint going out. R/T's are AWD's which is also a good indication of a CV joint.

Quick Reply: Trouble Shooting a Clicking Sound