1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Growling suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 05:24 PM
samnbensdad
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Growling suspension

I have an 02 Durango 5.9L AWD with an annoying growl in the front end. It makes a growl (or maybe a binding noise) when I turn at very low speeds. It goes away at higher speeds. It also makes this noise when I drive over a speed bump. Also, when I turn the wheel completely from side to side it makes this growling/bindling noise. However, it doesn't make the noise while in park without the brakes applies. (Park with brakes applied... it makes the noise). I tried to identify the noise as my wife turned the wheels, but was unable to pinpoint the source. However, both wheels made the noise.

I have had this Durango for 3 years and it has always made the noise. I am expecting something to snap anytime now.

A few weeks ago I replaced the front drive shaft, the bearings in it were bad but not related to this noise.

The boots of the CV joints look good.
Neither wheel has any play when jacked up (checking for wheel bearing or ball joint issues)
Supposedly the rack & pinion was replaced a few years ago too

Someone mentioned carrier bearings where the axle meets the front differential...???

Any suggestions???

Old 06-13-2010, 05:40 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

well the noise when you turn makes me suspect the wheel hub bearings (replacement wheel hubs would fix it, but are expensive), but that it makes the sound in park only when the brakes are on is confusing me, are the brakes on tight? are the pads tight? how does it stop? does it pull at all while driving?

verify that the upper balljoints have been replaced (if they are bolted onto the a-arms they are replacement units) and that the rubber boots are in good shape (no grease leaking out) and we will go from there

Old 06-13-2010, 06:29 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

Yeah, the breaks are tight. It stops fine. However, the steering wheel does shimmy a little when stopping, as if the rotors need to be turned. I was told, during an oil change recently, that my rear drums need to be replaced... which I plan on doing very soon. So I assume that is the culpret to the shimmy.

Upper ball joints are bolted in and boots appear to be in good shape.

Should there be any play in the axle shafts when in neutral? I can pull the axle out slightly... maybe a millimeter, not much. There a no play at all when it's in park though.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:35 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

Found the culprit...
I did have worn shocks, ball joints (upper and lower), tie rods and brakes. Even though these parts were worn, the wheels had no play in them at all when tested. I have had alignments about every 6 months and the techs always told me all of those parts were fine. When I took them off the truck, it was obvious that they were toast. Also I just blew a CV boot... its been an expensive month, but my front end feels tight now (yeah, i know... insert joke here).

None of these were the cause of the growl that has plagued me for so long though. It was the rear differential.

I thought the noise was coming from the front of the truck... apparently not. I drained the differential, which was full, and replaced the fluid with 75W-90 Mobile-1 and about 7oz of a friction modifier. The noise is gone!

MAINTENANCE, MAINTENANCE, MAINTENANCE... I will never let the scheduled maintenance get away again. I'm surprised I didn't ruin the diff.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:13 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you have been having the truck serviced then they probably weren't servicing it properly or using friction modifier as needed. To tell you the truth, I don't know why your diff never blew!

Old 09-23-2010, 04:28 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

It's pretty amazing that no one could diagnose it... 1 Dealer, 2 Firestones, 1 Tires Plus, & a local shop. I just decided to open it up the rear diff after hearing so much talk about friction modifier on this forum.
Tomorrow I'm getting the transmission serviced at the transmission shop that Indy uses.

Quick Reply: Growling suspension