1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

slotted brake rotors: useless expense?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 06:45 PM
heekma
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slotted brake rotors: useless expense?

Hello,

My 2000 R/T needs front brakes and rotors. I'm on board with high-quality ceramic pads, installed a pair on my Honda Magna and the bite, lack of grabbiness and fade resistance has impressed me, so ceramic pads are going on the Durango.

Drilled and slotted rotors however...I'm a bit skeptical of their utility on my Durango. I would think drilling and slotting would reduce friction area and chew the pads.

If I were driving a 500 horespower sportscars with lots of hard braking in high-speed turns as well as high-speed stops, I could see the utility.

My Durango R/T is as far from a high-performance sports car as chaulk is from cheese.

So:drilled and slotted rotors on my Durango-money well spent or a case of a fool and money soon parted?

Thanks for any and all info and experiences,

Heekma

Old 12-02-2012, 07:30 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

drilled and slotted rotors are a benefit in high performance situations where alot of extra cooling is needed, however both options will reduce the contact area between the pad and the rotor, and in the case of drilled rotors they will also wear the pads faster but will also resist glazing much better than solid rotors.

are they worth the extra expense? thats up to you, i have never bought them to put on my truck and i have plenty of braking power (comparative to the setup on these trucks, which is lacking to begin with)

Old 12-03-2012, 07:38 PM
lvphotos
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the Summit Racing ones with Hawk pads. With 35" tires I don't see much differance. I do get more dust. I also am bringing down alot more mass. The holes are for releasing gases and the slots are to swipe the rotor clean. Less area? Not by alot. Ever see the swiss cheese racing cars use? My stoping is about the same yet the heat dissapation is what I was after. I have got the heat down just by touch. Feal your rims after braking a good size hill. Cost wise was about the same, I paid more for the pads. They were out of EBC green stuff pads and the other recomended SUV pads.

Quick Reply: slotted brake rotors: useless expense?