1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Won't shift out of 1st gear.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 10:04 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
If they're a little bit of a reputable shop they will own up to their mistakes and fix it.
You nailed that one on the head. No reputable shop is going to put their name on the line in a small town for a little stinkin transmission.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:56 AM
cj7ngolf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same problem! I am not trying to hijack thread just inform all of what I have done to no avail...

Changed gov pressure switch and solenoid; No Better
complete flush and filter; No better
changed PCM had performance PCM in and put stock back in; No Better
Bit the bullet and put in a rebuilt, upgraded tranny (better clutches etc...) all sensors came with "new" tranny; No Better

At this point I am at a loss... all of the above suggestions have been tried, so pointing away from tranny problem, have read a little about a check valve in the line but have not done anything about that yet...

Last edited by cj7ngolf; 04-11-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:16 PM
Donnie Stewart
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny wont shift past 1st. Try this first....

I have a 2000 durango with the 5.9. 4x4. Love my truck. It has 150,000 miles on it and runs like a champ. Last week I drove home and the next morning I left for work and it wouldn't shift past 1st gear. I took it home parked it. Checked fluid,was fine. Everything looked ok. Called Mechanic to come look at it. He said tranny was shot. 1800.00 estimate on rebuilt tranny.
so.......... I did some research and found a few speed sensorsensor on the tranny. I went and spent 20 bucks and bought the rear speed sensor. Took it home and 5 minutes later bam. My truck was back to running top notch. If u have problems with yours not shifting past 1st. I suggest do what I did. Speed sensor. Easy fix. Located on bottom side of tranny. Hope this helps somebody save some money

Quick Reply: Won't shift out of 1st gear.