1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

cv nut size

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:24 AM
oklahomafbody
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cv nut size

Maybe I just didnt use the right search terms, but can anybody tell me the size of the cv shaft nut for a 98 so I can rent the socket without guessing? Im 20 miles from the parts store so would like to do this in one shot.

Doing a wheel bearing btw.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:55 AM
samnbensdad
Captain

You could asks to see a new CV shaft, they usually come with a new nut. Use that nut to determine which size to rent.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:02 PM
01 6.3L RT
Professional

The nut size is 32mm, either yu can break it free with a nicely sized breaker bar with 32mm impact socket .or if yu have a very strong 1/2" impact gun . DON`T use a non impact socket ,,it will break it seems they are not strong enough

Old 02-06-2011, 01:34 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by 01 6.3L RT
The nut size is 32mm, either yu can break it free with a nicely sized breaker bar with 32mm impact socket .or if yu have a very strong 1/2" impact gun . DON`T use a non impact socket ,,it will break it seems they are not strong enough
Right on the money. It's a 32mm socket, and it's on there nice and tight. It's a bitch getting that thing to turn. When I did mine I was amazed that the nut didn't strip by the time I had enough force on it to get it off. It was most definitely enough force to break a standard, non-impact socket, even without an impact wrench.

Also, yes, the new CV shaft will come with a new nut that you can use to verify the size while you're at the store. This particular nut is a single use item. Once you remove it you have to replace it with a new one, don't put the old one back on.

Last edited by coreybv; 02-06-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:07 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

When I did mine back in the day I put a black impact socket and a large 3/4 socket breaker bar on it with a long approximate 10 foot cheater bar on it. I remember thinking it would break the CV or nut before it broke, loose but it didn't.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:42 PM
oklahomafbody
Rookie

Yay. Didnt know it was one of the single use, thanks. I'm replacing the wheel bearing, not the shaft. My local parts stores dont have a cv shaft in stock is why I didnt make them pull one for me to check. Now I will have to see if I can find the nut somewhere. I have plenty of 1/2 inch tools/breakers/cheater bars/pipes, so good there. I just havn't really had to do many cv's or 4x4s to justify buying a complete set of the larger sockets. I may do so though now that we have this. Just really kinda tight on money at the moment so renting is a better option. Already spending hundreds on this truck gettin a ton of little stuff fixed and doing complete tuneup brakes etc. Hope to get the front driveshaft put back together and put back in too before the next snow storm.....

Ive also been known to put the breaker against the ground and easily rolling the vehicle the direction it needs to go to break it loose. Dont know if this trick will work with the durango though, I havn't even thought to look yet. Im thinking the center cap opening is too small.

Last edited by oklahomafbody; 02-07-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:07 AM
samnbensdad
Captain

You won't be able to go in through the center cap. I tried to do that when I forgot the nut cap with the cotter pin.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:30 AM
oklahomafbody
Rookie

Ya, kinda figured, Im gonna wait till this weekend and try it. Supposed to be in the 50s so maybe we'll get rid of some of this snow. Was unsucessfull in finding another nut for it today. Can it be reused with locktite or is it just a dont even think about reusing this thing kinda deal...?

Just looked through the factory service manual again... It doesnt say anything about replacing or using loctite. What to do what to do. Other sections make mention of replacing this bolt or that bolt or use loctite etc, but not here.

Not trying to start an argument, just seriously curious to know.

Last edited by oklahomafbody; 02-08-2011 at 02:41 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:25 AM
samnbensdad
Captain

You need to replace it. You may have to visit a stealership to get it. They usually come in a set of 2 for about $15'ish. Also, you don't need any type of thread lock, you will torque the nut to about 180 ft lb (IIRC) and you have the cotter pin.

BTW, what part of OK? I grew up in Edmond.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:21 PM
oklahomafbody
Rookie

South of Tulsa, been here 7 years. Grew up ks/mo.

Quick Reply: cv nut size