Durango killed this morning

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:00 PM
ajoshi91
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durango killed this morning

So here is what happened.

Started her up like i usually do. was heading in to work and i got to the end of my street and got on the gas LIKE NORMAL not gettin on her or anything (snowed like 2 inches so it was slippery out there) and she killed on me. engine just shut right off.

all the electrical stuff still worked. like the power locks power windows lights and stuff.

I tried starting her up and she cranks, she wouldn't turn over. was sittin there for a good minute or so. Got tired and tried pushin her home.

got tired of that fast. So i tried starting her again and finally she turned over and started up. So i parked her in the garage.

Turned her on again when i got home not to long ago and tried starting her like normal and she did. i gave her a little gas and she stayed on so i gave her more and she still stayed on. got her up to 3500-4000 rpm and she didn't kill.

any ides guys what the problem might be?

seems like most things are working like the starter and the alternator and the battery. she just wouldn't turn over. and when trying to start her i was giving it gas which didn't seem to do anything.

what do you think guys?

Last edited by ajoshi91; 02-26-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:44 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wait, do you mean it start and die? won't crank at all? crank but no start? or Die when u let off gas?

check engine light on?

Old 02-26-2011, 10:02 PM
ajoshi91
Captain

She cranks just wont turn over.

The check engine light was flashing but its not on anymore. when i started her up tonight when i got home there was no check engine light.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:13 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

if it happens again and doesnt want to start, try holding the gas pedal down while cranking, its not normally necessary with fuel injected vehicles, however if you flood the the engine i believe its even in the owners manual.

i had a similar thing happen to me in hs, i got up, left got .25 mile downt he street, realized i forgot something, turned around went home, shut it off to run inside, came back out and it wouldnt start, holding down the gas made it start. my theory is that because it hadnt warmed up yet that it was still running rich enough (what the computer does to warm the engine up faster) that combined with the fuel dumped at start up was enough to flood the engine, opening the throttle lets in extra air and it must have just been enough to get her to kick open, give it a try next time.

in my case, the CEL never came on, however after that my problem never came back

also if the CEL was FLASHING that means there was an issue which could potentially cause damage to the engine if not looked at, i would see about getting codes (they should be stored after the light goes out for a bit, so try the keydance if you dont have a reader) and let us know what they are, or if they are gone already

Old 02-26-2011, 10:17 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Fuel pump?

Old 02-26-2011, 11:37 PM
abew330

the flashing light is meant to alert you that you may have a misfire in your engine that could cause catalytic converter damage if you leave the problem unresolved.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:57 AM
coreybv
Veteran

Sharp's theory about it still running rich enough to flood sounds like a good explanation.

Had the same thing happen to me about a month ago. Started her up on a cold morning and drove about 2 blocks to the gas station for smokes. When I came back out, it wouldn't start. Cranked and cranked. Battery was about run down and I was close to giving up and walking home, but decided to give it one more shot. Battery was probably down to the last one or two revolutions of the engine when it finally fired up. Ran normally on the way home and ever since...

Old 02-27-2011, 01:31 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

Hydra.....two in a row for fuel pump........Are you upping your stock in fuel pump vendors...?

Old 02-27-2011, 02:20 AM
ajoshi91
Captain

well now see she does throw a code. its P0302 which is a misfire on cylinder 2 and it says reasons for this could be

Ignition system fault bad spark plugs, ignition wires/coil,
injector fault,
vacuum leak,
low or high fuel pressure.

with that said my NORMAL START is to cycle the key 2-3 times before turning her over to build fuel pressure. i didn't want to mention this yet because I've been doin this for almost 2 years now and she's never giving me any problems like this. just didn't want to mention the fuel pump yet because than people don't think about other things and go straight to blaming that.

I just wanted to get your inputs on this.

what do you guys think? i just recently changed my plugs oil and air filter maybe 2000 miles ago.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:58 AM
coreybv
Veteran

Time for a new fuel pump (and fuel filter while you're at it).

You've really been going through that PITA starting procedure for two years without getting it fixed?

Quick Reply: Durango killed this morning