Water in my oil – ’02 Durango SLT

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 12:10 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
i wouldnt put antifreeze in my mouth,

why is it bad to let your truck warm up (warming up is actually left over from the days of carburettors which would not atomize the fuel properly when they were cold, this required warming up the engine, modern electronically fuel injected cars do not face this issue)

1) waste gas (at idle your truck gets 0 miles per gallon of fuel burned, the reduction in mpgs while you are warming it up but driving is still better than 0)
2) engines run rich when they are cold (this is the computers attempt to warm them up faster, it works, but also emits alot more pollution)
3) the catalytic converter works best when it is warm, it warms up from exhaust gases, running at idle (ok, just above idle when its cold) gives off relatively LOW exhaust gas temperatures hence warming up the CAT more slowly, making it work harder and less efficiently, and less effectively.
4) this can cause the cat to become plugged over time (not right away of course, but over time if you do this alot it will happen)
5) engines warm up faster when being driven GENTLY (dont go and stomp on the gas immediately, wait for the water temp to come up)
6) rich burn leaves more deposits in the engine (carbon build up ect) this fouls plugs and causes a general loss of efficiency in the engine over time.
7) rich burn leaves fuel behind to mix with the oil in the crankcase, diluting the oil and making it less effective

now you do need to wait long enough for your oil pressure to come up however that is maybe equivalent to the time it takes to put on your seat-belt, and at that point you should be good to go.(maybe a minute at most)

sources :

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articl...27/2044311.htm
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/4213313
Sorry shrps, didn't realize I posted that question in two threads...

I agree stay away from Jiffy Lube

Old 12-29-2011, 02:00 AM
Gregory Dumas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

info on this from a dodge master mechanic.. the condensation builds up in the oil fill area as a result of the pcv valve being located lower on the engine than the oil fill access resulting in any condensation in the engine from sitting over night heating up and moving to the highest part it can reach and being unable to be vented.. it is more prone to happening in cold temperatures and non synthetic oils.

Quick Reply: Water in my oil – ’02 Durango SLT