1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Radiators-2001 Durango 4.7 L

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:12 PM
vstanford
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiators-2001 Durango 4.7 L

Why is it that I have had to replace the radiator in my 2001 Durango (4.7 L) five times now?

I bought the car in Jan. 2003. After about 3 years the radiator started leaking. This was a stock radiator so it might have lasted 5 years or so, unless it had been replaced before I got the car. I took it to the Dodge dealer and they put in a new one. It was not inexpensive.

Then about 2 years later that radiator sprung a leak. It was out of warranty, only guaranteed for 1 year. So, had to have another one replaced at the same Dodge dealer.

Then a little over one year later (13 months), that radiator sprung a leak. I took it back to them and was somewhat irritated. They said that even though it was only guaranteed for a year that they would replace it free. So they did. These were radiators number 3 and 4.

Now the Dodge dealer is out of business. Radiator number 4 is now leaking.

Anyway, this is number five when I put in a new one. In just 8 years.

What the heck!

I have had the system flushed each time a radiator was replaced and and replaced the coolant each time. The car has only about 95,000 miles on it. Does not use oil, runs great.

There is no grounding problem with the engine, whether or not this would affect the radiator.

What is the problem?

Where can I get a custom radiator for this car that will fit in the stock arrangement and last more than three years?

This is getting frustrating.

I spoke with some radiator shops and they implied that this was normal. I am going back to 1950-1970 cars if this is the case. My 1972 Nova still has the original brass radiator.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:48 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That is hella not normal!

There are 2 things you need to look at;

1. Where the hell are you driving? Lots of dirt roads or other places that flying debris can hit the radiator?

2. You are using really hard water that is braking down the radiator and reacting to it. Make sure you drain the block and use a good antifreeze and distilled water ONLY! Not tap water!

What ever it is, there must be a reason for it. Can you take a picture of the front of it? Lets take a look at it.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:15 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stocker heater cores are known to suck. Replace with a stocker and cross fingers that it lasts 3 years. However stocker Rads last 100k miles/5 years easily. Your conditions have to be the culprit. Even using tap water, you wouldn't run you though that many rads in such a short timeframe.

Check that there is nothing rubbing or causing friction on the rad in any area. If clear and the leaks just seem to be here or there, you should add a screen behind the grille and lower valance for more protection. You may be on gravel too often, have hella-big-*** bugs or related that are causing impact issues. Look for a screen designed for that purpose, likely under a bug protection heading.

OR... you luck really sucks. Watch out for ladders, broken mirrors and black cats.

IndyDurango

Old 01-27-2011, 11:49 PM
vstanford
Default Radiator problems 2001 Dodge Durango 4.7L

The vehicle is a 2WD, we have never driven it on a dirt road. The streets and freeways are clear of any such debris. We live in Orange County, Southern California. No freezing weather here.

We use nothing but distilled water as directed in the vehicles manual.

I would hope that the dealer used the proper antifreeze after flushing out the system and changing the antifreeze. Could it be the antifreeze, it's green and not orange?

I have never used anything in the cooling system other than to add distilled water when the leaks happen. Never added any stop leak for fear of screwing up something else. I am very careful because of the damn aluminum heads. Never added any water pump lubricant.

There are not even any bugs on the radiator or the air cond. condenser.

All of the leaks (cracks) have been in the bends in the tubing of the radiators. There was no damage, just cracked tubes. Looked like a crack in a seam, if there are any seams in the tubes. Nothing is rubbing. Besides the radiators fail where there is absolutely nothing nearby. The tubes develop cracks.

By the way, there have been other problems with the cooling system on this car. Had to replace a freeze plug at about 50,000 miles due to corrosion. Had to replace the auxilary cooling system electric pump due to failure of the gasket (it was leaking) at about 70,000 miles. Had to replace the inside rear heater core at about 60,000 miles. I never saw it after the dealer replaced it so I don't know what was wrong with it.

What sort of front end photo is needed? The "Grill" and bumper. Or, the front of the radiator under the hood?

If the radiator shops are telling me that this is a common failure rate then obviously the quality of the radiators is junk. I have not been able to locate a place that sells "better than stock" radiators for this car. Is there such an animal?

I have a 1976 El Camino that has had only one radiator replacement in 35 years and well over 200,000 miles. The 1978 Datsun 280Z has had just one radiator replacement in its lifetime, but it has only 80,000 miles on it. My 1972 Nova's stock radiator was replaced in 2006 after 115,000 (actual) miles. But, these are all brass radiators with steel frames, I think.

I think that the problem is the cheap aluminum and plastic radiators that the vehicle manufacturers have stuck us with?

Or, it must be my luck. This is my first Chrysler product. I got a bd one.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:13 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

it must be your luck, my 2002 w/ 97k miles is still on its origional, my dads old dak had 100k on it w/ the origional radiator, my old truck had 200k on it, still the origional radiator, we owned another dak w/ 120k w/ the origional, the radiators are fine, either your luck sucks or the dealer doing something wrong, the green prestone all vehicle anti-freeze should be fine, thats what is in my truck, and what we have always used in our dodge vehicles with very good experiences

Old 01-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe previous owner had a fender bender that pushed in the front just enough to make the connections not fit right? Maybe the shop had to "coax" the aluminum tubes to fit the smaller bends and that somehow made the tubes weaker than normal and compromised the structural rigidity?

Old 01-28-2011, 08:21 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It just doesn't make any sense!

All I can say is there is either something moving (vibrations) or they installed crappy radiators, or it could be the shop that you take it to and get the oil/fluids changed unless you do your own.

The freeze plugs on the 5.2L and 5.9L do rust out, but not normal on the 4.7L. It sounds like something is eating the insides?????? Incorrect coolant or something.

I thought there was 2 different coolants that were used in Durangos? Not sure of the colors as I used regular Green in my 1998 Durango 5.9L (and my Ram is Green 1999 as well) Anyway, this is directly out of the Service Manual on the specific type you should be using:

STANDARD PROCEDURE - ADDING
ADDITIONAL COOLANT
The use of aluminum cylinder blocks, cylinder
heads and water pumps requires special corrosion
protection. Only Mopart Antifreeze/Coolant, 5
Year/100,000 Mile Formula (glycol base coolant with
corrosion inhibitors called HOAT, for Hybrid Organic
Additive Technology)
is recommended. This coolant
offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when
mixed with 50% distilled water to obtain to obtain a
freeze point of -37°C (-35°F). If it loses color or
becomes contaminated, drain, flush, and replace with
fresh properly mixed coolant solution.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:16 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Name:  DontFeedTheTroll.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  15.3 KB

I'm not buying it. No one has all of their liquid related areas of the vehicle fail over and over. Core and rads and freeze plugs... all at low mileage and over and over, Nope. Just doesn't happen.

/unsubscribed

Old 01-29-2011, 02:32 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

My truck is also running 50/50 green anti freeze. I had to replace the radiator when I hit a bump too hard and a rock nailed it in the right spot but that was 30,000 miles ago. I believe the shop either just did a poor job every time, do they warranty their work?

Old 02-11-2011, 10:04 PM
durango128

my radiator leaks too but my particular case is the drain spout in the radiator....nothing elce leaks on it...i would say there right, faulty workmanship on the install and check your manual and only use what it calls for and see what that does....

Quick Reply: Radiators-2001 Durango 4.7 L