1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 Durango 5.9 Transmission Question

Old 03-31-2011, 01:48 PM
rob[GL]
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Durango 5.9 Transmission Question

Hi everybody, I have posted just a few times since buying yet another Dodge, man I love these things.

I've only owned the truck a few weeks and it seems pretty solid, mechanic inspection came back almost perfect, etc.

I noticed, when I had to stop abruptly for some pedestrians, that when I proceeded to step on the gas... it seemed as though the truck was in neutral for a sec before continuing.

It did the same thing last night when I stopped at the entrace ramp to a parking lot. And this morning when I was parked up hill in traffic...

Just wondering if you have any suggestions?

-rob

Old 03-31-2011, 01:55 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the trans fluid level and make sure it isn't burnt. It sounds like it may be a solenoid in the trans but could be a sign of something worse. If it continues and is a solenoid it should throw a code.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:58 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by rob[GL]
Hi everybody, I have posted just a few times since buying yet another Dodge, man I love these things.
Hell yeah brother I have the same rig, a 2000 Durango with the 5.9!

As for the main problem, seeing as you have the 5.9 it means you have the 46re transmission, meaning you have bands that are required to be adjusted. It sounds like an adjustment is in your near future and is probably the best place to start.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:43 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i too would start by adjusting the bands, but considering you had a transmission flush done you may have done some significant damage to the transmission

Old 03-31-2011, 03:00 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Could be that you power flushed the trans and they most likely didn't put the right fluid in while the did the flush and after. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ease-help.html

Old 03-31-2011, 04:31 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

Yeah, I didn't read any of the threads about it on here beforehand, so I hope I didn't make a mistake in allowing the shop to perform the work. If they did screw something up, they should be on the hook for it, correct?

I checked the fluid... It looks nice and clear, red as it should be, and it seems to be coming up to the lower line on the dipstick?

Old 03-31-2011, 04:34 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

Oh, one more thing, ever since the transmission flush was done... I have been smelling a transmission fluid smell inside the cab of the truck. It smells hot and gross. Could this be anything?

Old 03-31-2011, 04:43 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Yeah, I didn't read any of the threads about it on here beforehand, so I hope I didn't make a mistake in allowing the shop to perform the work. If they did screw something up, they should be on the hook for it, correct?
Unfortunately, no. Most shops are completely ignorant to the damage a flush can do, and they see it just as a cheaper/easier alternative to purging the fluid out. They use a machine that hooks it up to the cooler lines and back-flush it which flushes it going the wrong direction thru the system, big no-no.

This more than likely is the issue you're having and I'd hire someone to do a transmission system purge. Similar words, big difference. A purge is where they drop the pan and slowly drain the fluid as they add fluid, using the pump as a flush system, so to speak.

Make absolutely sure they use ATF +4 ONLY as anything else will F your system up anymore than it has been already.

Oh, one more thing, ever since the transmission flush was done... I have been smelling a transmission fluid smell inside the cab of the truck. It smells hot and gross. Could this be anything?
Check for leaks under the truck, as if my instinct serves me right this time, which it does most of the time, you have a pan gasket leak. This is nothing major as long as you get it fixed and is like 90% of the reason for smelling transmission fluid in the cab.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:49 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

I already spent $300 on the transmission flush, it really upsets me that I'm going to have to pay somebody else to do the work properly?

Edit: I'm sure they used the proper fluid, I saw them doing the work, it was a big (5 gallon) plastic barrel with "SYNTHETIC ATF4" logo on it. I can't honestly remember the brand name.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:52 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Brand name shouldn't matter because if it was ATF +4, it was ATF +4 and brand doesn't matter. It's also a shame you paid $300 for the flush because you should only have to pay like $150 or in that range for them to replace the fluid and filters for your transmission.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 Durango 5.9 Transmission Question