1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 Durango SLT 4x4 Transmission not shifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 06:15 PM
johnhalabama
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Durango SLT 4x4 Transmission not shifting

Just bought a 99 Durango SLT 4x4 for $1000 from a towing company. Dealer had put a ECM in it and the people didn't pay the bill. It's been sitting for a while.

Got it to my buddies shop and got oil, filter, plugs, belts, ball joints etc all done, got it over and got inspected but having transmission problems.

Been reading tons of stuff on here but here is what is going on:

- shifting late into second and not shifting up into 3-4
- got it shifting ok into 1-2 but then the abs & brake light would come on and won't shift. (speedometer is working properly - not sure about cruise)
- cleaned both sensors, changed fluid & filter, added Lucus (tranny fluid was nasty)
- trans is not slipping. Got it to shift up into 3rd twice then the abs and brake light would come on and wouldn't shift
- also seemed to pull down the engine when you first put it into drive. Kind of thinking the kick down may be stuck. Going to check that Monday.
- Only has an abs sensor on the rear diff. The front did not have any abs sensors on it.

I keep coming back to the sensors or solenoids. Figured out it had a Jasper rebuilt transmission in it. The ECM appears to be the new one the dealer put in. Not showing any codes for the speed or diff sensor.

Any suggestions? (or further questions) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully since nothing is slipping and it has been sitting something is just stuck and not high dollar.

Thanks,
John

Old 04-30-2011, 10:36 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

for the abs light i would change the transmission output speed sensor (on the drivers side tailshaft of the transmisison) and clear the computer, this sensor has a lot to do with shifting iirc

also get that lucas crap out of the transmisison the ONLY thing you put in a dodge transmission (built by someone else or not) is ATF+4

also adjust the bands(you need to drop the pan to do this properly)

Old 05-01-2011, 08:44 AM
johnhalabama

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
for the abs light i would change the transmission output speed sensor (on the drivers side tailshaft of the transmisison) and clear the computer, this sensor has a lot to do with shifting iirc

also get that lucas crap out of the transmisison the ONLY thing you put in a dodge transmission (built by someone else or not) is ATF+4

also adjust the bands(you need to drop the pan to do this properly)
Thanks. He has his transmision guy coming by first of the week to take a look at it. We'll get the sensor changed and go from there with the band adjustment.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:46 PM
johnhalabama
Default still narrowing it down

I talk to my friend that owns the shop today at church. The ABS Module is bad and did throw a code but still having the problems shifting.

Going to try changing the sensor in the transmission tomorrow. I don't think the diff sensor is the problem since the speedo is working all the time.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:46 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

But the output transmission sensor and the rear diff sensor work together and is worth the change as Sharps indicated.

(tranny fluid was nasty)
Well, you could have a bad trans then or hung up sensors in the trans. I would replace the governor and all solenoids, however it might be to late for that and you might just be chasing in the wind. If it were me I would pull it and rebuild.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:43 PM
johnhalabama

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
I would replace the governor and all solenoids, however it might be to late for that and you might just be chasing in the wind. If it were me I would pull it and rebuild.
Getting a price to get the transmission rebuilt and change the heater core & condenser. Hopefully get it around cost. Should be go to go for a while after that. I plan on keeping it and getting my wife a newer one toward the end of summer.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:50 PM
steve83
Default 99 dodge durango

I have been having an issue with my durango..I went to the store and the trans was shifting nice and easy..I came out the store got in and the trans revs up to a little over 2,000 rpm and if i let off the gas at a little over 2,000 rpm it will grab the gear and go on down the road through all the gears fine..it doesnt matter weather its cold or warmed up it does the same thing...could it be a pressure thing and need an adjustment somewhere?? I could use the wisdom and expertise of someone who has had this issue and has solved it or knows a thing or to about this model durango..I would greatly appreciate it..If i knew about these things i would be one of the guys helping others..but i could use the help..thanks to anyone who can help me out..and i would appreciate if someone could email me at supersteve123s at yahoo .com .....to all those who have the knowledge and knows how this world is and how saving money is a great deal..nothing wrong with asking someone with more fixit know how than you on vehicles...take care all

Old 05-17-2011, 12:04 AM
steve83
Default 99 dodge durango

I have been on here before and hydra shocker and magic 88 or 89 sorry if i got the number wrong magic..you guys have gave me your wisdom but due to someone hacking into my email i lost my posts and answers you gave me..i contacted yahoo and still have not gained access to my other yahoo account i used most..someone changed my password and i cannot change it..it keeps saying contact yahoo..i hate people who think they can hack into your email like people now adays have anything someone can get..i didnt have nothing in my emails but regular things like family emails and saved messages from friends and forums..im sure in the end they will get whats coming to them...i am glad there are forums and people out here to help you and not try and take things from you...to everyone who has had an ignorant encounter with someone or just soemthing ignorant happen that shouldnt..carma is real and it will get you...hope everyone has a great nite im signing out and headed to bed..maybe..i say maybe because i dont know how many times i will have to get up tonight and fix the woman a snack to eat due to us having a newborn on the way and her hunger drive going nuts..its all fine though, its a have to thing...later guys..i will stay tuned in..just had a recent surgery on my leg and havent been online in a while...

Old 05-17-2011, 12:06 AM
steve83
Default 99 dodge durango

I have been on here before and hydra shocker and magic 88 or 89 sorry if i got the number wrong magic..you guys have gave me your wisdom but due to someone hacking into my email i lost my posts and answers you gave me..i contacted yahoo and still have not gained access to my other yahoo account i used most..someone changed my password and i cannot change it..it keeps saying contact yahoo..i hate people who think they can hack into your email like people now adays have anything someone can get..i didnt have nothing in my emails but regular things like family emails and saved messages from friends and forums..im sure in the end they will get whats coming to them...i am glad there are forums and people out here to help you and not try and take things from you...to everyone who has had an ignorant encounter with someone or just something ignorant happen that shouldnt..carma is real and it will get you...hope everyone has a great nite im signing out and headed to bed..maybe..i say maybe because i dont know how many times i will have to get up tonight and fix the woman a snack to eat due to us having a newborn on the way and her hunger drive going nuts..its all fine though, its a have to thing...later guys..i will stay tuned in..just had a recent surgery on my leg and havent been online in a while...

Old 05-17-2011, 12:08 AM
steve83
Default 99 durango

storming outside..double posted internet acting crazy...

Quick Reply: 99 Durango SLT 4x4 Transmission not shifting