1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

CTM, PCM, steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 02:20 PM
trudinator
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTM, PCM, steering

We are the proud owners of a brand new CTM for our '02 D (4.7, 4x4). Had the fobs reprogrammed at the stealership today and there is one thing that doesn't quite work - Chime does not work when key is left in the ignition (well it works SOME of the time). If I push in on the key, then it works. Could it be an issue with the ignition? Also had them turn off the annoying "check engine" light, but it came right back on. Giving a code of P0601, which, if I understand correctly, is a failure of the PCM (MORE money). Should we go through the steps to reset the PCM first before replacing it, and do you think this fault code had anything to do with the faulty CTM? Pretty soon we'll have everything brand new! The steering also feels kind of "tight" to me; wheel turns a bit harder than normal. Rack & pinion (have noticed a bit of leakage)? Pump? Don't want to pay the crooks anymore than I have to to figure out what to replace first.

Funny story, totally unrelated....was in the stealership today and a very young couple were buying a used car. Their salesman came out and told them they were all approved (mistake #1; financing thru the dealer) and then said he'd get them all set up for insurance, because they'd get a MUCH better deal through the stealership (mistake #2; believing anything the snake oil salesman has to say). I nearly laughed out loud! Then the woman had the intelligence to say that she had insurance through her parents and she was going to check with them first. (power to the woman!!!) Final score: -1; they should have obtained approval from their bank or credit union BEFORE car shopping. I am REALLY dreading buying a new vehicle next year....

Old 05-14-2011, 03:13 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

pretty sure the ignition shouldnt chime unless the key is all the way in, i dont recall mine chiming if the key is only half way in, but i have never really paid attention to it.

2 p0601 is 95% a bad PCM, you can buy them on ebay instead of fromt he stealership, get in touch with whitewidow00, he bought a new one for his truck and was very happy w/ the place.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:34 PM
trudinator
Amateur

The key is all the way in, but there is a bit of play - you can actually push the key in and the piece where the key goes in actually pushes in about a quuarter of an inch. Hope that makes sense.....

I've researched the PCM and I'm going to buy it online. Does this unit need to be reprogrammed by the dealer too?

Old 05-14-2011, 10:57 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

when you buy the PCMS online the place you buy from should ask you for all of the necessary information, when you get it you should be able to plug it in and go.

and it sounds to me like your ignition is loose, i can push mine in a little bit, but no wheres near 1/4 of an inch, thats quite a bit if you think about it.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:04 AM
trudinator
Amateur

I may have exagerated a bit, but there is definitely some play in it. I'll have it checked out if the problem continues. Guess I'll start looking into replacing the cpm; don't really gave any issues with how the truck runs, idles, etc., so it seems weird that thing is faulty. But then again, what do I know? Thanks for the help. I love this site!!!

Quick Reply: CTM, PCM, steering