1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

DIY: Adding a overhead console w/ temperature and compass (Durango Edition)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 07:36 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
even close is stretching it, mine was known to be off by as much as 4-5 mpg at times. . .

I still think I must be the only one that has a fairly accurate trip computer. The last time I drove from SC to PA it said I had an overall average of 17.6 mpg and when I did the math I got really close to that with 17.4 or 17.5 mpg. With my normal mix of driving around town and occasionally on the interstate it sits at around 14.3 mpg without the a/c on and 13.6 mpg with the a/c on, and both numbers are fairly accurate.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
I still think I must be the only one that has a fairly accurate trip computer. The last time I drove from SC to PA it said I had an overall average of 17.6 mpg and when I did the math I got really close to that with 17.4 or 17.5 mpg. With my normal mix of driving around town and occasionally on the interstate it sits at around 14.3 mpg without the a/c on and 13.6 mpg with the a/c on, and both numbers are fairly accurate.

Did you add yours or did it come that way??

It is all in how the wires are twisted. I have noticed that mine is a little more accurate then ones that where installed on the truck from the start. I twisted mine pretty damn tight, in fact OCD made me get it perfect. I can see someone adding there own taking there time to twist it right as it is the only one they would be doing but, an someone on a line doing thousands and thousands of them a year you know there is gonna be a few that come out half a$$ed.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:35 AM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by Old_School
Did you add yours or did it come that way??

It is all in how the wires are twisted. I have noticed that mine is a little more accurate then ones that where installed on the truck from the start. I twisted mine pretty damn tight, in fact OCD made me get it perfect. I can see someone adding there own taking there time to twist it right as it is the only one they would be doing but, an someone on a line doing thousands and thousands of them a year you know there is gonna be a few that come out half a$$ed.
I added mine after you made the guide. I made sure the wires were very tightly twisted, and I'm fairly sure I used a power drill to twist them.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

I added mine after you made the guide. I made sure the wires were very tightly twisted, and I'm fairly sure I used a power drill to twist them.

That explains it then, mine is also pretty accurate... not 100% but i usually get withing 1 MPG of what i calculate.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:09 PM
that_guy
Champion

Same here.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:18 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

mine is all over, it was dead on sometimes and 4-5 off others, depended mostly on how consistent my driving was that tank i think

Old 06-15-2013, 09:10 PM
that_guy
Champion

Thought I'd mention that on my drive from SC to PA today I did 16.8 mpg according to my math and the overhead said 17.1 mpg, so it wasn't too far off.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:32 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Thought I'd mention that on my drive from SC to PA today I did 16.8 mpg according to my math and the overhead said 17.1 mpg, so it wasn't too far off.

Wow you did the whole drive in one day? well at least the D has comfy seats.

I have not been keeping a close eye on mine lately. once i get the details worked out tho ill be looking more at it but, yours is pretty close.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:03 AM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by Old_School
Wow you did the whole drive in one day? well at least the D has comfy seats.

I have not been keeping a close eye on mine lately. once i get the details worked out tho ill be looking more at it but, yours is pretty close.
Yeah I did the drive all at once. I stopped once in Fairmont, WV (310 miles from Columbia) for gas then drove the rest of the way to PA (200 more miles). Took about 7 1/2 hours of driving and 8 hours total.

I don't usually fill my tank the whole way up driving around town so I never get a chance to check how accurate the overhead is, but it usually says between 13.5 and 14.5 mpg with my average mix of driving around town and a little bit on the interstate.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Yeah I did the drive all at once. I stopped once in Fairmont, WV (310 miles from Columbia) for gas then drove the rest of the way to PA (200 more miles). Took about 7 1/2 hours of driving and 8 hours total.

I don't usually fill my tank the whole way up driving around town so I never get a chance to check how accurate the overhead is, but it usually says between 13.5 and 14.5 mpg with my average mix of driving around town and a little bit on the interstate.

Mine usually averages at 14.5 MPG but, lately with the trans issues its been saying an average of 8.5 MPG....

Quick Reply: DIY: Adding a overhead console w/ temperature and compass (Durango Edition)