1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

DIY: Adding a overhead console w/ temperature and compass (Durango Edition)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 08:42 PM
Z11Weaver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YES I look at the temp in every car I own, and want a totally trick Modern day street rod.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:14 AM
Toad's Ride
Rookie

Post revival....
A question for Old School

Want to make the trip computer addition to my '00 Dakota, but in my area the exact parts are hard to find.
I have however ad '01 Durango that's going to be parted up with this feature. I also have the fsm's for both but the Durango's a bit lack in the schematics for this piece. Can you provide any insight in adopting an '01's on a '00

Thanking you in advance

Old 04-20-2014, 11:20 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toad's Ride
Post revival....
A question for Old School

Want to make the trip computer addition to my '00 Dakota, but in my area the exact parts are hard to find.
I have however ad '01 Durango that's going to be parted up with this feature. I also have the fsm's for both but the Durango's a bit lack in the schematics for this piece. Can you provide any insight in adopting an '01's on a '00

Thanking you in advance
The short answer is that it wont work.. Your 2000 Dakota works off the old CCD Bus system for the readouts, in 2001 dodge switched to PCI Bus system for that. If you want it to work you would have to find a truck pre 2001 with this feature.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:29 AM
Toad's Ride
Rookie

Originally Posted by Old_School
The short answer is that it wont work.. Your 2000 Dakota works off the old CCD Bus system for the readouts, in 2001 dodge switched to PCI Bus system for that. If you want it to work you would have to find a truck pre 2001 with this feature.
I was hoping to somehow translate the data signal. But if there is no way I guess I'm going to have expand my search area. Thanks OldSchool, you saved me a lot of time trying to make something work that wasn't going to. Ok I will stick to the non bus parts.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:46 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker

I was hoping to somehow translate the data signal. But if there is no way I guess I'm going to have expand my search area. Thanks OldSchool, you saved me a lot of time trying to make something work that wasn't going to. Ok I will stick to the non bus parts.

Just curious, where are you located that parts are hard to find?

Old 04-21-2014, 06:35 AM
Toad's Ride
Rookie

Originally Posted by Old_School
Just curious, where are you located that parts are hard to find?
Eastern Ontario. There are '00 Durangos around here mostly on the road ... but all the ones I've encounter in the local pick and pull's are already salvaged.

A local wreaker can order them in, but charges a higher amount if they ordered in.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:39 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Eastern Ontario. There are '00 Durangos around here mostly on the road ... but all the ones I've encounter in the local pick and pull's are already salvaged.

A local wreaker can order them in, but charges a higher amount if they ordered in.

ah yes, i have heard it can be a little frustrating to find parts in Canada. I imagine that the higher amount they charge is for the shipping. Last time i shipped parts to a guy in Canada it ended up costing a little over $60USD

Last edited by Old_School; 04-21-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:25 PM
vako
Professional

i'm getting my stuff from ebay but i'm shocked that i can find overhead console itself used for about 50 bucks and the wire harness costs 150?!! wtf

Old 04-21-2014, 03:22 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by vako
i'm getting my stuff from ebay but i'm shocked that i can find overhead console itself used for about 50 bucks and the wire harness costs 150?!! wtf

that guys a moron and i have advised him of it... It's down to $150 huh? they where charging $250 or around there last year.

I used to sell kits on ebay that included the console, wire harness and a sheet on where to hook up my labeled wires. I listed it for $75 USD and did sell a few. Last fall the wife came down with some medical issues that prevented me the time to deal with making them up so i had to stop for awhile. Now that she is better and i have more time i just never really thought about doing more.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:42 PM
flyingvfreak

Doing this install now. 2000 Durango, donor parts are same year. Anyone know what the purple w/black wire is for? Was in the harness I took

Quick Reply: DIY: Adding a overhead console w/ temperature and compass (Durango Edition)