1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Need help with dropping the oil pan 2000 dodge durango 4x4

Old 08-08-2011, 05:42 PM
MCT Redneck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with dropping the oil pan 2000 dodge durango 4x4

My tank is in the shop right now and when i get it back i am going to drop the oil pan and i want to see how hard it would be. I really haven't worked on that many four wheel drives and the front axle goes right across the oil pan.Is it a pain to drop the front axle? The reason i am dropping the oil pan is because one of my buddies was helping me change the crankshaft sensor and he broke the sensor and some of the plastic peices fell inside and i want to make sure nun of the peices get in the oil filter or oil pump.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:54 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the front axle has to be dropped, im not sure how hard it is but you can download the factory service manuals from FAQ thread at the top of the forum listing

Old 08-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Bobman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a major PITA to do. As Sharps said you need to drop the front axle to gain access. This means pulling the driveshafts, which means seperating steering components, lower ball joints, etc.

The oil pump pickup is protected by a screen which should stop debris from being picked up and circulated. Personally I wouldn't pull the pan for a few small plastic pieces. Look at the old sensor and try to figure out how much is actually missing. You may be able to flush the pan somewhat by adding sone kero / diesel to the oil before changing it to thin it out. Screen your old oil for pieces that have been flushed already.

Bob

Old 08-09-2011, 02:38 PM
MCT Redneck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks but what fell inside was pretty good size so i don't want chance it but i will try the thinning of the oil before i drop the oil pan.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help with dropping the oil pan 2000 dodge durango 4x4