1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

axle tube leaking

Old 09-04-2011, 10:14 AM
NHWheelin
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axle tube leaking

I just got my 98 Durango last night and I noticed some fluid on the ground under the rear axle. I figured I would have to redo a brake line. This morning I climbed under it and to find th driver side axle tube is leaking at the differential connection. I am assuming its the inner axle seal thats bad but this is the first time I have seen fluid leak at that connection because of it. So my question is this. What would cause that to leak there? I have had a few CJ's and have always welded that part of the tubes just because they have been known to come apart on the trails. I will probably weld the tubes on this because I assume it has been unseated so to speak and dont need the tube coming out when I driving down the road. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 09-04-2011, 11:09 AM
NHWheelin
Amateur

Looks like Im doing an inner axle seal. just spoke to my friend/ mechanic and thats what he says it is. Should be a simple fix probably a couple hrs

Old 09-04-2011, 03:37 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Are talking about the axle seal that the axle goes thru or the tube that goes into the pumpkin/diff assy?

Old 09-05-2011, 09:58 AM
NHWheelin
Amateur

The tube that goes into the dif assembly that the shaft is inside of. It appears to be leaking out of that connection. I will find out more today since this weekend has been hectic for me and I havent had much time to really get in there and get a good look. I do know it is soaking the front part of the spare tire. Worse comes to worse I will put a new axle under it. Its not that hard of a job since I have done many axle swaps before. My friend and I can prob get it swapped out in a few hrs. I am assuming the inner axle seal, the first seal coming out of the ring and pinion, has gone bad. If thats the case I will swap out both inner and outer seals next weekend.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:05 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There is no inner seal there at the connection between the axle housing and the carrier housing. It is a welded joint. Now on the outside next to the wheel is a inner wheel seal because the housing is hollow and gear oil lubricates the wheel bearings on the outside at the wheel as well. So basically, at the rear wheel there is a seal, then the bearing, then a hollow housing to the carrier housing all except an adjustment cap for the pre-load on the carrier bearings.

So if you are leaking here at this weld at the tube end then you need to have it arch welded:

Old 09-07-2011, 12:39 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Nice weld job.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:24 PM
NHWheelin
Amateur

Finally had a chance to get under and really look around to find that right before me T junction in the brake line I have a pin hole, which is spraying fluid all over the spare tire and left side of the axle. So this will be an easy fix.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: axle tube leaking