DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Durango (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango-69/)
-   -   Tranny Pan (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango/302685-tranny-pan.html)

shrpshtr325 09-05-2011 08:43 AM

nope the 45 and 545 are all electronically controlled, no bands

MAGIC84 09-05-2011 09:19 AM

DEFINITELY DO NOT HIT PEPBOYS... so even if dealer is only option $40-60 isnt that bad. While your getting the Filters and ATF+4 (You are using MOPAR or VALVOLINE ATF+4 right.???..LOL!!!) Honestly The filters, ATF+4 PAN and while your there might as well get some RTV sealant, if you think about it you can do one stop shopping.... Make sure wherever you get the ATF+4 make sure you get all bottles of the same lot/batch number.

RamToughV10 09-05-2011 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by maxfly (Post 2588705)
thanks shrp you saved me an extra trip. i was going to go with 6qts. i hear you on the filters. im going to replace both and try to find a gasket as well so i dont have to wait for the rtv to dry. if i can find a pan were heading out as soon as i finish and leak test it. wish me luck on my quest lol. with the way my luck has been ill need all i can get!

You can get a pan gasket at Advance Auto/Autozone. The dealer won't have one as Dodge doesn't make one. They use RTV.

maxfly 09-05-2011 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by MAGIC84 (Post 2589045)
DEFINITELY DO NOT HIT PEPBOYS... so even if dealer is only option $40-60 isnt that bad. While your getting the Filters and ATF+4 (You are using MOPAR or VALVOLINE ATF+4 right.???..LOL!!!) Honestly The filters, ATF+4 PAN and while your there might as well get some RTV sealant, if you think about it you can do one stop shopping.... Make sure wherever you get the ATF+4 make sure you get all bottles of the same lot/batch number.

dealer is probably going to be only option. hopefully they will have one or will be able to get one asap. roger the valvoline atf+4. ill be sure to check the lot/batch #s.

Originally Posted by RamToughV10 (Post 2589139)
You can get a pan gasket at Advance Auto/Autozone. The dealer won't have one as Dodge doesn't make one. They use RTV.

im going to hit AZ after i pick up the pan. i saw they have a felpro gasket for it. ive had good luck with felpro gaskets in the past. hopefully things havent changed since i last used them.

BTW any pointers on pulling the pan or is it pretty self explanatory? loosen the bolts, drop the back bolts, let it drain etc...

RamToughV10 09-06-2011 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by maxfly (Post 2589691)
BTW any pointers on pulling the pan or is it pretty self explanatory? loosen the bolts, drop the back bolts, let it drain etc...

Not much to it, other than what you mentioned. It'll be stuck on there, so take your time prying on it or it will 'pop' and spill everywhere (ask me how I know).

Bobman 09-06-2011 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by RamToughV10 (Post 2589989)
Not much to it, other than what you mentioned. It'll be stuck on there, so take your time prying on it or it will 'pop' and spill everywhere (ask me how I know).

And while you're at it, buy and install one of the aftermarket drain plugs into the new pan. You'll never have this problem again! Moroso makes them, amongst others.

Bob

MAGIC84 09-06-2011 06:55 PM

Also VERY VERY IMPORTANT......And "Listen to me know or believe me la-tah!!!

Use the Dealer RTV OR GASKET DO NOT USE BOTH!!!! Ask me how I know

hydrashocker 09-06-2011 10:52 PM

I only use the rubber gaskets. No RTV and no mess as well as prying on the pan and bending it trying to break it loose from the trans.

I get them from the dealer and you put a little general grease on it just enough to make it wet. You install the pan and torque accordingly in sequence. The good thing with the dealer gaskets are they have metal collars on each bolt hole to keep you from bending the pan and it ensures the gasket integrity, not to mention they are re-useable.

maxfly 09-07-2011 03:43 PM

thanks for the tips guys! i went with a rubber gasket. more for times sake than anything tbh. its worked out great so far! ill tell ya what, its a pain in the rear trying to drop and drain with ramps vs a lift. i miss my uncles repair shop lol. i didnt need to drop the cross member thankfully. i picked up the pan from the first dealer i called. 52 bucks was right on the money for me. i started off with 8qts of fluid but ended up using 10 1/2qts total. the toughest part was trying to finagle the friggin spin on filter. it literally took me an hour to finally get it off. that sucker was on there! drove her for 4 1/2 hours on the highway and not so much as a drop leaked. shes shifting great!
again thanks a ton for all the help and have a great week!