1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 Durango transmission swap 5.2 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:04 AM
bassinfool
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Durango transmission swap 5.2 4x4

I have a 99 durango I bought for a steal at a tow lot so I am unsure of the history. It was stuck in 4wd so I noticed it was missing the linkage and managed to fix that but the tranny is not shifting correctly. I assume they drove it in 4wd for awhile. It seems like it is slipping but I am not getting a clunk as I have experenced in other cars when the tranny slips and finally goes into gear. The tranny fluid smells a bit burnt. Its reaving up and not always shifting but when it does it seems smooth. Rather than mess with it I have a chance to buy a Parts truck a 98 ram 1500 with a 5.2 that the tranny was just rebuilt. Will the Ram 5.2 4x4 tranny bolt on? I searched and there are different opinions.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:24 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Not all cases are the same, There are some changes that you may not see. Like the inspecton cover that covers the torque converter bolts or the way the starter is mounted to the case. So you need to be careful. What you may want to do is have the part numbers for both box's check and see if they will fit.

Quick Reply: 99 Durango transmission swap 5.2 4x4