1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Durango won't start

Old 03-04-2013, 12:30 AM
trichards48
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durango won't start

Parked my car on friday go in it this evening to start it, it cranks but nothing starts, battery is fine, Fuel pump is working and the engine is getting sparks. Any Ideas? I've got a 5.9L Durango

Old 03-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you pressed on the pedal while trying to start it? If it's having air or fuel 'issues' this will push the systems in the right direction.

A friend had this same problem. Wouldn't fire up but would spin fine when trying to start. I got in it, pressed in the gas pedal like I was starting a carbed engine, and viola, started right up. However, I had to keep my foot in it or it would die, and the lower I let the RPMs get the worse it ran and anywhere below 1000 RPM it would die.

I pulled the air filter, and it started right up. His filter looked clean but was restricted enough that the engine wasn't getting enough fuel to start. New air filter and he hasn't had any problems since.

Just an idea to start with and we can go from there.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:01 AM
trichards48
Default Good Thought

Originally Posted by Sooper
Have you pressed on the pedal while trying to start it? If it's having air or fuel 'issues' this will push the systems in the right direction.

A friend had this same problem. Wouldn't fire up but would spin fine when trying to start. I got in it, pressed in the gas pedal like I was starting a carbed engine, and viola, started right up. However, I had to keep my foot in it or it would die, and the lower I let the RPMs get the worse it ran and anywhere below 1000 RPM it would die.

I pulled the air filter, and it started right up. His filter looked clean but was restricted enough that the engine wasn't getting enough fuel to start. New air filter and he hasn't had any problems since.

I did try stepping on the gas, with no luck. I definitely will try pulling that off, it's something super easy and wont hurt. Thanks!

Old 03-04-2013, 03:08 PM
trichards48

I took the air intake off, and the car started up. It seemed like it ran a bit rough, but that might just have been the fact that the intake wasnt on at all. Could there be any sensors that are going bad like maybe the throttle position sensor or the idle air sensor?

Old 03-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trichards48
I took the air intake off, and the car started up. It seemed like it ran a bit rough, but that might just have been the fact that the intake wasnt on at all. Could there be any sensors that are going bad like maybe the throttle position sensor or the idle air sensor?

Yeah that little vacuum hose attached to the hat has to be connected, but outside of that it shouldn't run worse without a filter.

Try putting the box and ducting all back together but with no filter or a new filter and then report back.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:11 PM
trichards48

Yeah that little vacuum hose attached to the hat has to be connected, but outside of that it shouldn't run worse without a filter.

Try putting the box and ducting all back together but with no filter or a new filter and then report back.
I dont have the box, Ive got an intake setup

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Durango won't start