DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Durango (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango-69/)
-   -   Blower Motor Resistor - Constant burn-outs (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango/318760-blower-motor-resistor-constant-burn-outs.html)

Overcast72 02-20-2012 02:12 PM

Blower Motor Resistor - Constant burn-outs

Well, the blower motor resistor and it's harness are giving me fits.

The replacement harness I put on last year is burnt as well as the original. I did manage to find an older thread here that recommended replacing the blower motor itself as well. Considering this problem is consistent and happens in short order, I'm going to replace all this junk I think.

I was curious - if anyone has ever tried this 'cheaper' one at Auto-zone, etc..

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...129789_0_2856_

"Continental/A/C Heater Blower Motor" - it's 53.99 as opposed to the others being $100 or so.

Or should I just head to the dealer and get the one they offer? I'm not typically a big fan of the 'cheapest out there' - but my budget's been tight, so thought I would ask... Looks like the only downside on that motor is that I'll need to swap the blower part itself out on that motor.

I'm planning on getting the connector at the dealer either way - I'm fairly sure both the resistors I have now work ok, this seems to be more of a problem with the connector than anything, I can jiggle the connection some and it will work on occasion if it gets contact. Since it's been cold I've been stuck doing this for a month or so now, lol

Still... I'll probably replace the resistor as well, both of them, while working, are burnt some too. This is always the second connector and if I had to guess without digging more it's the second to lowest setting. One day I was running it at that speed and the connector started smoking bad. Since, I've been avoiding that speed totally. Although it makes sense too as that's the speed I use most often once it's warmed up, at least in the winter.

otgarzā 02-20-2012 02:51 PM

Im having the same problem. Replaced connector harness and resistor last year and recently the same thing happened to me. Another burnt resistor and connector. Right now i just put a new resisotor on and its working. But let me know how replacing the blower motor goes and i may do the same.

Overcast72 02-22-2012 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by otgarzā (Post 2723450)
Im having the same problem. Replaced connector harness and resistor last year and recently the same thing happened to me. Another burnt resistor and connector. Right now i just put a new resisotor on and its working. But let me know how replacing the blower motor goes and i may do the same.

Will do - I haven't decided on which one to use just yet.. I might avoid the cheapest. Even if it was a lifetime warranty, it doesn't mean I want to dig in and swap the part out if it goes bad.. :)

Overcast72 07-05-2012 01:52 PM

Reviving this one - because I'm about to deal with this issue.

Figured I'd start with the blower motor itself, most of the thread I've found are wisely telling people to check the resistor first, but since I'm past that...

Anyone have any advice on replacing the blower motor itself? I suspect I'll be getting started this weekend.

I'm guessing this little gem is under the passenger side dash inside, correct?

otgarzā 07-11-2012 12:17 AM

I just replaced another resistor last week and rewired the harness and all is well. Hoping itll hold up. Ive read that if it keeps burning the resistors that its best to replace the blower motor itself since it draws more current than can be resisted by the resistor.

JimtheDriver 07-11-2012 12:33 AM

Yes, the blower is hiding behind the dash. I've had issues with the blend door in a '98, and the repair manual says take half the cab apart to get at it, the fan and the heater core.

Blasted engineers, take a page out of commercial truck manufacturers and put that stuff in the engine compartment with a cab-filter! I miss my old TBird, everything was right there and so easy to replace if needed.

Overcast72 07-11-2012 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by JimtheDriver (Post 2822167)
Yes, the blower is hiding behind the dash. I've had issues with the blend door in a '98, and the repair manual says take half the cab apart to get at it, the fan and the heater core.

Blasted engineers, take a page out of commercial truck manufacturers and put that stuff in the engine compartment with a cab-filter! I miss my old TBird, everything was right there and so easy to replace if needed.

That's what the guy at Autozone told me as well - all the way in the dash. I may as well replace the evaporator while I'm in there - it's been suggested :)

A/C needs a charge anyway - since the compressor bit the dust (or well the pulley) last year - but heck, I'll have almost a whole new system - and the heater core too... hmmm.. may as well while I'm there! lol

And yeah - I'm going to replace the blower motor, harness, resistor - doing it all this time. I was changing blower motor resistors like underwear.

B0B 07-11-2012 11:15 AM

Everywhere I've looked says that you should change the motor too if you keep blowing resistors.

autoshh 07-11-2012 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Overcast72 (Post 2818399)
Reviving this one - because I'm about to deal with this issue.

Figured I'd start with the blower motor itself, most of the thread I've found are wisely telling people to check the resistor first, but since I'm past that...

Anyone have any advice on replacing the blower motor itself? I suspect I'll be getting started this weekend.

I'm guessing this little gem is under the passenger side dash inside, correct?

Our 03 SLT 4x4 had the same problem until the winter before last, when I finally tore everything out (wiring harness blower and all) and replaced it with AFTERMARKET parts. We replaced the blower with another from Dodge, and it still burned out 3 sets of wires.

We tried every combination until we ended up with the other blower you mentioned - from Autozone, and a few feet of wiring (it's coiled up under the dash on the pass side with some electrical tape now). Everything is fine for over a year now, but it seems this is a common issue. I know two other D owners and a Dakota owner who have also experienced this (all from 02 or 03).

I don't know why they do this and it sure is a pain in the... but it IS pretty easy to fix.

Let us know your results.

otgarzā 12-17-2012 08:05 PM

I got around to changing the motor, harness, and resistor 2 months ago and so far so good. Got all my stuff at autozone since i work there now lol. Hopefully this fix lasts more than a year since the rest of them only lasted 6-12 months.