1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

front driveline issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:57 AM
john1974
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front driveline issue

Been searching the forums but figure I would post my issue. 1st I have a 99 dodge durango 5.9L 4x4 with about 180k on it. I recenly replaced the front rotors, pads, rear shoes, springs, drum because my brakes were bad and now it stops on a dime. within a few days after the brakes I noticed coming from what sounds like the driverside front a scraping noise when its in motion. I also have noticed when I turn it seems to get worse (louder scraping sound.) then alittle quieter when driving straight. Now I did not check anything else down there when I was doing the brakes because I wasnt having any issues. I DO NOT get a vide or any weird things in the steering wheel and other than the noise I get everything seems fine.

Thoughts on what to look for when I take the wheel off?

Old 03-08-2012, 10:11 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

my first thing to check would be for bent dust shields or anything loose which may be rubbing on the rotor/axle/rim.

does the noise get louder when turning in either direction? or only in one direction?

Old 03-08-2012, 10:19 AM
john1974
Amateur

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
my first thing to check would be for bent dust shields or anything loose which may be rubbing on the rotor/axle/rim.

does the noise get louder when turning in either direction? or only in one direction?
At the moment it seems louder when turning right but I have noticed it when turning left also.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:40 PM
john1974
Amateur

Well I broke down and took it to a friends shop (trusted had many vehicles worked on there before.)

List of whats wrong goes on forever but rear end is shot, rear sway bar bushings bad, harmonic balancer is bad, front wheel bearings bad, ball joints, tie rod ends, and much more.. 2700 to fix it all although some of it I can do myself so that could knock it down alot but now I have to wonder if its worth it to fix it. It does have 180 on it and for that type of money I could put some down on a newer durango

well time to talk it over with the otherhalf.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:35 PM
mikeismadness
Veteran

I wanna see why the rear end is bad. You never listed anything above pointing to a rear end problem

Old 03-09-2012, 12:11 PM
john1974
Amateur

Originally Posted by mikeismadness
I wanna see why the rear end is bad. You never listed anything above pointing to a rear end problem
Bearings shot in the rear which I already knew as she whines and houls pretty bad. And with cover off its day by day to how long the gears last. (ive priced out rear ends locally.) Its become a matter of fix it all (alot of it on my own.) or buy a newer Durango as I found one at a dealership I have looked at 4 times and really like. Basically its put money into the one I have or get a rust free, less miles, newer replacement with same options.

Quick Reply: front driveline issue