1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

replaced hub bearing on an 01 but still hearing rubing noise, what else? please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 12:33 AM
swab
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replaced hub bearing on an 01 but still hearing rubing noise, what else? please help

hey guys, i got a 2001 dodge durnago sport 2WD and i started another thread of a couple weeks ago about replacing my hub bearing and you guys helped me out alot with info replacing the hub bearing but it didnt fix the problem at all so im sure its something else.
heres the old thread for reference

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ml#post2708247

anyways, when im driving the truck im about %80 sure its coming from the drivers side front, what it sounds like is a humming noise like the tire is rubbing against something but its not because i had an alignment and got brand new Michelin tires. and when i turn to the right "the humming stops" and my car sounds perfect again! but when im driving straight it hums and when i turn left it hums alot more so its constantly humming and getting worse. what it sounds like is not a constant long hum like a fast rrurr rrurr rrurr rrurr it has different pitches in the noise, i dont know how to explain a sound in words lol

because i only replaced the drivers side front hub bearing people suggested maybe it was the right side all along and just to replace that side as well, but im pretty tight on money im a full time college student and the hub bearing cost me $85 and i had installed it myself because an auto shop wanted $300 to install it. i had a friend help me so everything went smooth and it was actually pretty easy to do. but i dont want to waste another $85 if thats not the problem.

when i went to get an alignment with these new tires is when that guy quoted me $300 to fix it the hub bearing and he even said it was the front left hub bearing.. so if he would of replaced it i would of been really screwed out of money.

i talked to autozone guy and he said it sounds like its my axle, could this be? remember i only have rear wheel drive. he quoted me the part and it was around $100 so if i buy this i REALLY want it to fix this problem.

what do you guys think? do you think its my drivers side axle?

Last edited by swab; 03-07-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:56 AM
mikeismadness
Veteran

You don't have a front drivers side axle...that's only for 4x4. It sounds to me like its the passenger side, but I may be wrong because I've never dealt with 2x4. NW Indiana makes me own 4x4

Old 03-09-2012, 12:48 AM
swab
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikeismadness
You don't have a front drivers side axle...that's only for 4x4. It sounds to me like its the passenger side, but I may be wrong because I've never dealt with 2x4. NW Indiana makes me own 4x4
damn this sucks, well thanks anyway, im pretty sure its not the other side. is there anyother damage that can cause the symptoms im having? lets say i replace the other side and the problem is still happening what else would i need to do then?

i already brought this to a shop and they said it was my drivers side hub bearing and that is what i replaced, i dont no much about cars so i dont no what to do at this point and its getting louder and louder i really need to fix this ASAP before it damages more things.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:39 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

it actually does sound like the passenger side wheel bearing
here is why
1) you turn left and it gets louder, turning left loads up the passenger side bearing, more load on the bearing = more noise, turning right unloads it = less noise.
2) wheel bearings usually get about the same amount of wear from side to side, so they often wear out together

and yes w/ a 4x2 it is not a front axle, because you dont have one!!!!!!!

Old 03-09-2012, 04:54 PM
mikeismadness
Veteran

I'm still sayin passenger side also, personally I think they should be replaced at the same time anyway

Old 03-10-2012, 06:36 AM
otgarzā
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Passenger side if it is the hub. Just replaced one and the sound was always on the opposite side.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:18 AM
Blind Monkey
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whatever way you turn and it gets quite its the side you load up that is fubar. so turn right load the left bearing(weigh shift) and noise goes away its the left side(driver) bearing. turn left loading the right(passenger) bearing and noise goes away its the passenger side bearing fubar. 2wd use the unit bearings as well?

Quick Reply: replaced hub bearing on an 01 but still hearing rubing noise, what else? please help