1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

torsion bolt ceased. I want to do my t/s lift!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 03:47 AM
krupaeric
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torsion bolt ceased. I want to do my t/s lift!!!!

so i finally was able to get my tow hitch bar off by cutting off the bolts attaching it to the frame. they were rusted beyond belief! and i had the front end up in the air getting ready to do the 8 turns on my torsion bar and i tried and i tried to get them to budge but they wouldnt move. there rusted pretty good just like everything else on this thing. and i want to know if there is any way i can cut them off without having the bar release and slam down causing bodily harm to me while im under the truck. i figured out that i might be able to put a jack stand under the t,bar by the bolt. but would that be the safest way to go about doing this. i would hate to get this far in my build up and have to stop due to a darn bolt. and i have been dying to get this t/s lift done. also can i go buy the t bar bolts from the dealer without paying an arm and a leg for em?

Old 06-19-2012, 09:03 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

no you cannot safely cut the t-bar bolt, and if you did cut it you would only cut the head off, you would still have to find a way to unthread the rest of it iirc.

your best bet is penetrating oil (nut buster, pb-blaster, wd-40 ect) and an impact wrench if it is stuck that bad, or a breaker bar and a long *** piece of pipe.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:58 PM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't get a socket on either of my torsion bolts. I had to use a crescent wrench.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:00 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Use some penetrating lube like PB blaster every day for a week or so then try it. Do not cut those bolts you are asking for trouble if you do.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:55 PM
logikfive
Professional

Mine were a mother effer on my '99. Penetrating oil wasn't even a match.

I ended up using a 3-foot breaker bar, with a peice of hollow steel tubing covering it to give me another 2 foot of leverage before I was able to turn them. They fought the entire way, too.

It's pretty bad when you're flexing a 3-foot Mac Tools breaker bar. In the end, about 4 months later I ended up breaking the head off the breaker bar loosening my lug nuts.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:24 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

alright so in cant cut em off or ill risk breaking myself. im just worried about breaking the bolt. im a pretty big guy and i have broken some pretty impressive bolts on some farm equiptment. but i guess ill just have to go at it first and see if i can get em to move. i wish i had the ability to post some pictures for you guys to see. the top swivel is in good shape, its the threads im worried about. there almost nonexistant anymore due to all the rust on em. but ill give it a shot and let ya know what happened. thanks.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:28 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

and ligikfive you dont live but about an hour away from me. i live in silvercreek. just s/w of buffallo.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:03 AM
logikfive
Professional

Ah yeah I know Silver Creek. Was actually just there a few weeks ago.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:32 AM
krupaeric
Veteran

not a bad little town. kinda like the country living, not to big on the city life. anyways, i got under the d and started the spraydown. i have a few bottles of liquid wrench penitrating oil. so... im soaking em till this weekend. ill try to get em to move, and if i can ill do my lift. i also have to do my front and rear band adjustments. didnt do it when i did my filter fluid change. so i got busy weekend planned. next week i get married. so i got quite a bit to do on my weekend off. lol. wish me luck guys.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:10 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

so im going to go ahead and give it a go and try to do my lift. anyone got any last minute pointers for me?
and as for using a bottle jack on the leaf spring, i dont have one, i got a regular flat floorjack from a different vehicle. its slim but it extends out pretty far.
and i guess as far as my torsion bolts i got a 2 foot breaker bar and a 4 foot cheater pipe to go along with it so i should have plenty of leverage. i just hope i dont break the bolt.
so wish me luck, and any pointers will be greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply: torsion bolt ceased. I want to do my t/s lift!!!!