1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Strange sound coming from my D

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:26 PM
TiesTorN
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Strange sound coming from my D

Well I have this problem for a very long time. I don't know how to explain it but it's like grinding sound coming from under the truck. My mechanic first thought that the sound was coming from the front shaft (cuz it doesn't make any noise while the truck is on the lift and the back wheels are spinning) he tried removing the front shaft but that didn't do any good. Then he came to the conclusion that it's coming from the transfer case cuz the gears inside it are messed up and would be fixed if I change that but obviously that means a lot of money... Is there any easier way to fix this? Like just changing a part inside the case? Have anybody had this problem before?

(btw that grinding sound is getting much worse when I switch to 4x4 mode)

Old 06-18-2012, 10:03 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i believe you can rebuild the transfer case (this is basically replacing any and all worn components), however idk how much it would actually save you.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:49 PM
TiesTorN
Amateur

how do I rebuild a thing that I have no knowledge of

Old 06-22-2012, 01:05 PM
TravisN.
Rookie

Originally Posted by TiesTorN
how do I rebuild a thing that I have no knowledge of
Are you mechanically inclined? Not trying to be disrespectful here, but this has potential of costing you more money if you do it incorrectly.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TiesTorN
Well I have this problem for a very long time. I don't know how to explain it but it's like grinding sound coming from under the truck. My mechanic first thought that the sound was coming from the front shaft (cuz it doesn't make any noise while the truck is on the lift and the back wheels are spinning) he tried removing the front shaft but that didn't do any good. Then he came to the conclusion that it's coming from the transfer case cuz the gears inside it are messed up and would be fixed if I change that but obviously that means a lot of money... Is there any easier way to fix this? Like just changing a part inside the case? Have anybody had this problem before?

(btw that grinding sound is getting much worse when I switch to 4x4 mode)

I would start by getting a 2nd and a 3rd opinion. Don't pass this info on to the next two shops who check on this issue. Instead, let them come to their own conclusions.

If they all say it's the T-case, and you feel strongly they are right, replacing it with a used unit from a parts recycler might be cheaper than a new unit or even rebuilding it.

Most cities have salvage yards, or parts recyclers, that sell parts to shops when they need a used part instead of a new part. Prices vary but are generally very affordable and these recyclers will generally not sell a part if it's in danger of failure. That kind of business makes them look bad.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:45 PM
DomsDodgeDingo
Professional

Just find one at a junkyard. They are usually pretty cheap you could prolly swap it urself to save money

Old 06-24-2012, 08:47 AM
TiesTorN
Amateur

I'll try that.

Quick Reply: Strange sound coming from my D