DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Durango (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango-69/)
-   -   possible transmission isues? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango/330756-possible-transmission-isues.html)

that_guy 07-13-2012 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by My1stDurango (Post 2824014)
How hard is it to replace the fan? And what year Taurus or what do u recommend as a reliable replacement?

The fan I used was from a 95 Taurus with the 3.8L v6. It has a dual speed motor. I used a dakota digital controller to run it and haven't had any problems with it so far.

I followed this writeup over on the DOC forum by Indy Durango. The Taurus fan seems to be the most common fan to use because of the high air flow and dual speeds. There are lots of controllers out there other than the one I used that are much cheaper, but I liked the digital readout on the dakota digital controller I used.

Hope this helps if you decide to go this route.

JimtheDriver 07-13-2012 04:09 PM

I have to say something here . . .

Ford to the rescue. The irony.

Now that I got that out of my system, have you done the cold/hot pinwheel test of the fan? Mechanical clutches like this are just awesome like that. I drive a 5.9L '98 and feel no difference with the clutch locked or not.

The test (engine off if you want your fingers):

Cold (Outdoor Ambient Temperature): Gently push in the spin direction (easy to tell by the direction the fins point -if they tilt toward the engine left to right it spins right; left is the reverse); see how long it spins and how easily it does so. Note any roughness, binding or wobble in the blade.

Hot (Engine Operating Temperature): You'll have a minute or two after shut-down to do the steps above before the spring in the clutch cools. The difference here is that the fan shouldn't move at all. If it does or wobbles, take a gander at the pulley to make sure it's not moving with the fan. Be careful doing this as the hoses, fan shroud, radiator and engine are hot -I've burned myself a few times doing the test.

When the fan clutch is operating normally, the only noise you'll hear is a WHOOSH over one thousand RPM from the displaced air. Anything else -bar a problem seen with the pulley/water pump- it'll be the clutch. The fan shouldn't adversely affected power as the computer knows when it is engaged and adjusts accordingly. Yeah, that means a hit to the fuel economy.

Conversion to full on electric sounds nice, if you have the cash to spend on the module.

(Yes, this post is more for everybody that looks up issues with the fan clutch.)

shrpshtr325 07-13-2012 04:32 PM

i have seen a bunch of dakota guys using a cheby hhr electric fan, thats the route im thinking about going at some point in the not too distant future.

My1stDurango 07-13-2012 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by JimtheDriver (Post 2824054)
I have to say something here . . .

Ford to the rescue. The irony.

Now that I got that out of my system, have you done the cold/hot pinwheel test of the fan? Mechanical clutches like this are just awesome like that. I drive a 5.9L '98 and feel no difference with the clutch locked or not.

The test (engine off if you want your fingers):

Cold (Outdoor Ambient Temperature): Gently push in the spin direction (easy to tell by the direction the fins point -if they tilt toward the engine left to right it spins right; left is the reverse); see how long it spins and how easily it does so. Note any roughness, binding or wobble in the blade.

Hot (Engine Operating Temperature): You'll have a minute or two after shut-down to do the steps above before the spring in the clutch cools. The difference here is that the fan shouldn't move at all. If it does or wobbles, take a gander at the pulley to make sure it's not moving with the fan. Be careful doing this as the hoses, fan shroud, radiator and engine are hot -I've burned myself a few times doing the test.

When the fan clutch is operating normally, the only noise you'll hear is a WHOOSH over one thousand RPM from the displaced air. Anything else -bar a problem seen with the pulley/water pump- it'll be the clutch. The fan shouldn't adversely affected power as the computer knows when it is engaged and adjusts accordingly. Yeah, that means a hit to the fuel economy.

Conversion to full on electric sounds nice, if you have the cash to spend on the module.

(Yes, this post is more for everybody that looks up issues with the fan clutch.)

Thank you and everyone for all the info I will do that tonight or tomorrow morning when its cool outside. I also need to check my anti freeze levels as I was running a lil hoter than usiual today, but that could have Ben the 100° weather.

My1stDurango 07-13-2012 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by My1stDurango (Post 2824102)
Thank you and everyone for all the info I will do that tonight or tomorrow morning when its cool outside. I also need to check my anti freeze levels as I was running a lil hoter than usiual today, but that could have Ben the 100° weather.

Also I did notice a little wobble in the fan blade the other day but thought nothing of it. Could this be contributing to the problem?

JimtheDriver 07-13-2012 05:44 PM

Wobble indicates that the bearing inside the clutch is wearing out, the fan is not securely tightened to the clutch, the clutch is not securely mounted to the water pump pulley or the pump shaft bearing is going bad. Don't fret, for if it was the last you'd know it by the coolant going everywhere it shouldn't.

The shroud really gets in the way here, as you have to turn yourself into a pretzel to get at the fan-clutch and clutch-pulley mount bolts.

When it is cold (or cool enough, at least), wiggle the fan to see what moves before tearing everything apart.

And yes, a wobble in the fan will cause performance issues as it acts like it's out of balance and/or puts undo stress on the pulley which will transfer down to the crankshaft via the belt, robbing a bit of power. When you do get the chance to take a look, inspect the shroud for impact marks/damage from the fin tips. The clearances are rather small so any movement not of the circular motion can cause the two to hit, even if just slight enough to not be heard.

I really don't like that tunnel-style Dodge insists on having.

My1stDurango 07-13-2012 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by JimtheDriver (Post 2824116)
Wobble indicates that the bearing inside the clutch is wearing out, the fan is not securely tightened to the clutch, the clutch is not securely mounted to the water pump pulley or the pump shaft bearing is going bad. Don't fret, for if it was the last you'd know it by the coolant going everywhere it shouldn't.

The shroud really gets in the way here, as you have to turn yourself into a pretzel to get at the fan-clutch and clutch-pulley mount bolts.

When it is cold (or cool enough, at least), wiggle the fan to see what moves before tearing everything apart.

And yes, a wobble in the fan will cause performance issues as it acts like it's out of balance and/or puts undo stress on the pulley which will transfer down to the crankshaft via the belt, robbing a bit of power. When you do get the chance to take a look, inspect the shroud for impact marks/damage from the fin tips. The clearances are rather small so any movement not of the circular motion can cause the two to hit, even if just slight enough to not be heard.

I really don't like that tunnel-style Dodge insists on having.

Ok the fan only moved a little I haven't noticed any wear on the shroud but I will be sure to inspect more carefully. just so I know beforehand what shouldn't be moving?

My1stDurango 07-14-2012 10:50 AM

So I did the test this morning cold the fan will move very little (I spun it to my right as that's where the blades point to the engine) while at operating temp the fan will move slightly more. there is Mabye 1/16' play if that, it seems secure. So what im getting out of this is The Bering is going please correct me if im wrong and thanks again for all the support

that_guy 07-14-2012 10:53 AM

if the fan wobbles front to back that would be a bad bearing. If it's just spinning it's not abnormal.

My1stDurango 07-14-2012 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by that_guy (Post 2824531)
if the fan wobbles front to back that would be a bad bearing. If it's just spinning it's not abnormal.

Ok the fan does not spin it will move roughly a quarter turn at running temp alot less cold so im betting it is the Bearing. The funny part is my stepfather told me this just from sound alone. And the shroud has no damage on it the blade dosent come near it