DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Durango (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango-69/)
-   -   1999 Dodge Durango suv shut off when driving help!! (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango/330871-1999-dodge-durango-suv-shut-off-when-driving-help.html)

QDB 07-13-2012 12:23 PM

1999 Dodge Durango slt suv shut off when driving help!!

i have a v8 Magnum Dodge Durango slt 1999.have it 2 years now but couple weeks ago.it start to shut off while driving.when i drive it shut down in the middle of the road.and ever time i get to a stop sign if shut down.we try to figure out what wrong with we have no clue what going on.we change the fuel pump.but it still act the same way.if anyone can tell me what to do.i really appreciate it

Sooper 07-13-2012 01:48 PM

The ignition coil might be bad. Maybe a loose connection at the compute, battery, or fuse / relay box?

Have you tested the battery for load capability and voltage?

Old_School 07-13-2012 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by QDB (Post 2823894)
i have a v8 Magnum Dodge Durango slt 1999.have it 2 years now but couple weeks ago.it start to shut off while driving.when i drive it shut down in the middle of the road.and ever time i get to a stop sign if shut down.we try to figure out what wrong with we have no clue what going on.we change the fuel pump.but it still act the same way.if anyone can tell me what to do.i really appreciate it

Take a bag of ice with you and go for a ride till it shuts down... pop to hood and place the bag of ice on the PCM and then try to start it .. if she fires right up then your PCM is overheating... it's a very common problem with the 98-99's when the temp starts to rise this time of year. HTH

shrpshtr325 07-13-2012 03:06 PM

i would do the bag of ice test first as old_school suggested.

that_guy 07-13-2012 03:23 PM

+2 on the bag of ice. Wouldn't hurt to make sure the battery connections are clean and tight too.

Sooper 07-13-2012 03:40 PM

Just curious, since I haven't really heard much about the overheating PCM problem...what is the fix? How do you solve an overheating computer and why do some overheat and some don't?

shrpshtr325 07-13-2012 04:24 PM

the fix for an overheating PCM is to replace it.

the problem seems to be on darker colored vehicles where they sit in the sun alld ay and heats up the PCM, this damages something internally and causes it to shut down when the PCM gets too hot.

JimtheDriver 07-13-2012 04:37 PM

There's a good question: what color is the vehicle?

Granted, mine is Cherry Red and I've had no issues with the PCM.

More information is needed here.

Have you checked the air filter? I had an issue with mine where it had to be jumped then wouldn't idle for half an hour. I pulled the air filter out and it ran fine, thus knew what the fix would be.

Is the Check Engine light on? If any of the sensors are detecting an issue beyond adjustable parameters or are bad you'll have the light.

When was the last tune up/spark plug gap check?

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

Sooper 07-13-2012 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325 (Post 2824062)
the fix for an overheating PCM is to replace it.

the problem seems to be on darker colored vehicles where they sit in the sun alld ay and heats up the PCM, this damages something internally and causes it to shut down when the PCM gets too hot.

I guess I've been lucky. My Durango, bought it in '97, is black, and never been garaged. The Ram I got a few months ago is black, and always has been outside during the day.

Neither seem to have that issue. I was kind of surprised by it, and never heard of it before...good to know for future reference.

Old_School 07-13-2012 09:32 PM

from what i have seen posted here and in other forums it seem to be the MOST common in the dark colored 99's for whatever reasons... it was also common that it seemed to happen more to people that lived in a place with overly extreme temps.