1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Brake pad questions

Old 03-25-2012, 01:12 AM
RollerRed
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad questions

So I blew threw my front and rear pads in 7,000 miles...Come to find out they are some no name crap brand and they are at 30%. Pulled the rotors and they are straight, gonna swap them anyway along with the drums just to be safe.
Any one have any recommendations?
I am thinking Titanium Kevlar pads...
I know that ceramic eat rotors so I think I will stay away from them.
Thanks in advance.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:20 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

You don't want to go too hard of a pad because they will eat thru the rotors, and you don't want too soft because you won't get very far with them. I fear you have a problem such as locked up calipers if you went thru an entire set of pads in 7,000 miles. No matter how bad the pad is, you shouldn't be doing that.

Replace the rotors when you replace the pads, I put Duralast Gold pads on my Durango when I had it and towed with those suckers on there. Got 40,000 miles out of them and still had life left on them.

They are a semi-metallic pad, they wear very evenly, and don't have a horrible squeal to them at any given point. This is what I had on my Durango, hydra has on his rig, I also have them on my 3500 and am very pleased with them.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Evil Juggalo
Amateur

Ive got ceramics on my 02 and they have worked great for about 2 years now (Pads have limetime exchange warranty)... They did eat one set of rotors (in about 3 months) but they were some cheapass eBay drilled and slotted.. After swapping order to some regular wearevers they still work perfectly fine.

Never once got a squeal out of ceramics.

Ninja Edit:
Also, you said you threw pads on front and back.. Every 1st gen D ive seen has Drums on back (including mine).. is yours converted?

Old 03-25-2012, 04:25 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Evil Juggalo
Also, you said you threw pads on front and back.. Every 1st gen D ive seen has Drums on back (including mine).. is yours converted?
The 2003 model year included 4-wheel disc brakes, however I'm curious too because the OP says he has a 1998. Good catch!

Old 03-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the OP is calling rear brake shoes , pads.. i see alot of people do it...

Not to hijack the thread but, do the pads that you used create alot of brake dust?

Old 03-25-2012, 08:49 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Old_School
do the pads that you used create alot of brake dust?
I didn't notice it build up dust bad at all.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:44 PM
RollerRed
Veteran

Sorry, I meant shoes not pads on the rear.
Yea I went back to the dealer that I bought my D from and asked for all the paper work for my D. (forgot to get it when I bought it) He had told me before that the rotors, drums, shoes, and pads had been replaced. Then when I asked for the paper work he looked right at me and said, "umm...well we dont have anything." I asked why? He looked away and kinda just say there...Then answered "well we dont keep anything more then 6 months." I got my D from them in Oct. sometime. I counted and said so you must of just thrown them away? He said I guess...I said well thanks and walked out all pissed off. So to be honest I dont think my brakes were new when I bought the rig. So who really knows what kind of condition they were in...
No back to the question on hand here.
I have heard Duralast gold's are great all around. I want to get some brembo rotors that are drilled just for looks mostly. Ill have to shop around for those guys.
Thanks!

Old 03-25-2012, 11:28 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Originally Posted by RollerRed
Sorry, I meant shoes not pads on the rear.
Yea I went back to the dealer that I bought my D from and asked for all the paper work for my D. (forgot to get it when I bought it) He had told me before that the rotors, drums, shoes, and pads had been replaced. Then when I asked for the paper work he looked right at me and said, "umm...well we dont have anything." I asked why? He looked away and kinda just say there...Then answered "well we dont keep anything more then 6 months." I got my D from them in Oct. sometime. I counted and said so you must of just thrown them away? He said I guess...I said well thanks and walked out all pissed off. So to be honest I dont think my brakes were new when I bought the rig. So who really knows what kind of condition they were in...
No back to the question on hand here.
I have heard Duralast gold's are great all around. I want to get some brembo rotors that are drilled just for looks mostly. Ill have to shop around for those guys.
Thanks!
For the front pads, Hawk LTS pads if you don't tow and Hawk SuperDuty pads if you do.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:14 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 Duralast God series kicks solid butt, VERY little dusting, in fact a lot better then normal ceramics and no fade like the normal ceramics. a MUCH better substitute.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:27 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
+1 Duralast God series kicks solid butt.

Are you day dreaming about church again?? and yes if god made brake pads they would kick solid butt because well, he's GOD!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake pad questions