1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Clicking noise while accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:29 PM
mike reisma
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking noise while accelerating

I have a 2001 durango 4.7l v8, aproximately 149,000. The last 2 weeks ive been hearing a clicking noise. It almost sound like when you were a kid and put a card in your spokes of your bike. It only happens when accelerating, and only in drive. But it stops when im at normal driving speed(55mph), When i take off, its more noticable. I went undhght maybe u joints, but all were replaced 30,000 miles ago. Any help would be nice! Thanks, mike.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:18 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does it sound like valves clattering when accelerating under high gear? I am having this issue running 87 octane with a custom pcm tune. Had to have huges pull back on the timing a little bit and helped but valves still clatterer between 1400-1800 rpms and only does this if I try to accelerate in high gear. Now that temps are down, I will try to do as recommended by Hughes by putting in colder spark plugs to see if that can eliminate the valve clattering.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:21 AM
cummingetit
Professional

Any chance there could be a chipped tooth on your ring or pinion? My experience has been it is more of a ping sound than a tick though. Just throwing it out there.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 08-23-2012, 08:23 AM
cummingetit
Professional

I have heard that these motors have problems with the exhaust manifold studs breaking off or working loose. Maybe a slight exhaust leak starting?

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 08-23-2012, 10:01 PM
My1stDurango
Rookie

I have a God awful ticking noise as well in my D Its a 5.2 ltr automatic. If that matters at all any howturns out where the exhaust pipe exits the muffler is rotted around the seams and ticks and makes all types of noise.(especially while picking up speed) I hope your problem is a simple one a

Old 12-31-2013, 02:12 AM
jctail
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike reisma
I have a 2001 durango 4.7l v8, aproximately 149,000. The last 2 weeks ive been hearing a clicking noise. It almost sound like when you were a kid and put a card in your spokes of your bike. It only happens when accelerating, and only in drive. But it stops when im at normal driving speed(55mph), When i take off, its more noticable. I went undhght maybe u joints, but all were replaced 30,000 miles ago. Any help would be nice! Thanks, mike.
I have this exact same problem after going off roading thru some mud. I thought I ran over a piece of metal that wedged somewhere into my tire or brakes but I cannot find anything.

The weird thing for my noise is that when all four wheels are off the ground it doesn't happen, but when on the ground it happens all the time while accelerating. It is definitely coming from the front end but I cannot tell where for the life of me.

I'm hoping you or someone else has resolved the same issue I'm currently experiencing.

Thanks for the time.

-John

The following users liked this post:
Joshmattson30@gmail.com (01-04-2022)
Old 12-31-2013, 09:33 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cummingetit
Any chance there could be a chipped tooth on your ring or pinion?
Bad ring/pinion's don't make cute little sounds like tick or ping. It's more like bang, grind, WTF is that! The 'Jeeper' side of me knows all that first hand.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:23 AM
PublicHair
Banned

U joints in drive shaft. Come on guys. Common knowlage.

The following users liked this post:
Joshmattson30@gmail.com (01-04-2022)
Old 12-31-2013, 08:33 PM
laz45
Veteran

CV hub, bet the bearing is shot

Old 01-01-2014, 03:12 PM
jctail

I'm betting it's the U joints on the front end. Is there an easy way to test without removing it? It looks straight forward to take off but those are the times I've gotten myself into the most trouble.

Thanks,

-John

Quick Reply: Clicking noise while accelerating