1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Old 05-20-2013, 12:09 AM
slowfashow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member

Hi all, I am a new member. Will be picking up the 1998 Durango tomorrow. I found it on CL for 3 grand and it has 165k Miles. Its white, 5.9L, 4x4, fully loaded, tow package and undercarriage skid plates (engine, tranny, and gas tank). Besides that it is all stock. I needed something that is cheap and I can haul my kids and dogs with. 2 Sports cars was not working out so I decided to buy the Durango last minute. How reliable are these? the guy I bought it from is the first owner and has all maintenance and service records. No leaks and its almost in perfect condition minus the regular engine wear and exposure to elements. I am part of 2 other forums so I know how helpful these are and I look forward to being a lasting member here and also throw in my 2 cents on threads.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:46 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome!

These things are pretty damn bullet proof, keep up with basic maintenance and you'll be fine. And only use ATF +4 in the tranny.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:05 PM
alwaysclean19
Professional

Welcome!
And agreed, if he maintained it well you will have no problems!

Old 05-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Dig-N-Deep
Rookie

You have come to the right place : ) Welcome

Old 05-20-2013, 10:29 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slowfashow
Hi all, I am a new member. Will be picking up the 1998 Durango tomorrow. I found it on CL for 3 grand and it has 165k Miles. Its white, 5.9L, 4x4, fully loaded, tow package and undercarriage skid plates (engine, tranny, and gas tank). Besides that it is all stock. I needed something that is cheap and I can haul my kids and dogs with. 2 Sports cars was not working out so I decided to buy the Durango last minute. How reliable are these? the guy I bought it from is the first owner and has all maintenance and service records. No leaks and its almost in perfect condition minus the regular engine wear and exposure to elements. I am part of 2 other forums so I know how helpful these are and I look forward to being a lasting member here and also throw in my 2 cents on threads.

I also have a 98 with about the same mileage with you. To date all of my issues where minor ones. Mostly everything on my truck was OEM when i purchased it in 2010. Since then other than the normal fluid changes i have a torque converter, a set of tires and a few sensors invested in it.. Keep in mind that the 98's are now pushing 16 years old, mine in Sept (built 9-97) and there are gonna be some things that are gonna go out. I know of a few 98's that have over 300,000 miles on them. as said before keeping up with them is the key.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:17 PM
slowfashow

Wow guys. Thanks for the warm welcome and warm feelings for the Durango. I just got it smogged so all I need to do is get the plates. I'm still not used to the throttle response. I feel a major delay when I floor it and how fast it takes to react. Also with acceleration. it takes for ever to pick up speed but I guess its cause im used to driving sporty cars. Thanks for the welcome guys.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:20 AM
DyingBreed
Professional

My 5.9 feels slow on take off but I blame that on big tires and 3.55 gears.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:09 AM
slowfashow

that's probably it. It takes for ever to get to 65 without feeling I just killed a gallon of fuel. I normally drive my Z soft on the gas and gets up to 85 in a heartbeat. I do love driving this damn Durango though. Too bad I live in the bay area where offroading or trails is not common. Speedbumps and curbs are now my favorite terrain lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Member