1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Scary Transmission

Old 10-10-2012, 01:26 PM
RufusDodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scary Transmission

My sister has a 2000 Dodge Durango 5.9 V8 nice ride, it has less than 100,000 miles its not the r/t version i think the difference is the suspension and rear end but same engine, when she first got it she drove it with the over drive off and we was going down the highway and the trans hose popped had to get it towed, O/D is for higher speeds (highway) and you cut it off for towing, right? her cars drives fine with O/D, i told her to never cut of the O/D off again, but since that day you constantly smell trans fluid but no leaks and no signs of a leak it is wet though near the seals but no dripping leaks(time for new seals?) I can deal with the O/D situation but what the hell is causing the trans fluid smell?? cleaned under the chassis when it pooped and twice afterwards

Will she need a new trans soon or just get gaskets replaced, the water pump went out and replacing it friday, also had computer replaced, as we do more you can tell the 5.9 is coming out but I can tell its losing power on take off it will spin tires but not like it should what should i be watching for

Old 10-10-2012, 03:26 PM
one big mess
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought my durango (same year and engine size as you) and it wouldnt shift from 2 to drive. i changed the 3-4 shift solenoid (located under the tranny pan). i then had the same problem with my tranny being sluggish (like towing a heavy load) after replacing the governor solenoid and the pressure transducer (both also inside the tranny pan) we found out that it was the wireing harness that goes into the transmission (its up behind the shift linkage) had come loose. also found that who ever changed it had broken peices that were left in asthere. After removing them and putting connectors back together it shifts fine. as for the leak i change my gasket and found out thats not where it was coming from somewhere above the pan. when you find out where shoot me a line and let me know. could be my problem also

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 10-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You say the trans line popped off and you had to get towed correct??? if so then i am assuming that fluid shot everywhere underneath the truck? if that's the case then get used to the smell because you will have it for awhile.....

I had a trans line pop a hole in it once from a tiny spot that had rusted though sprayed fluid everywhere and ill tell ya it took a good month or two till i drove thought a number of thunderstorms or rain in general to flush enough water around to clean up any fluid that is hanging around under there....

If it bothers you that bad one thing you could do is find a car wash that has a under carriage sprayer in it... usually an auto or drive thru one will be most likely to have it...

Personally i have always been afraid to go into something like that mainly in the engine bay area as the water being shoot up there could cause a electrical issue...

Old 10-10-2012, 09:41 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

OD is meant to be used at highway speeds, however leaving it turned ON during normal driving is perfectly acceptable, when towing it should be left off, otherwise i agree with what old_school said

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scary Transmission