1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 02:20 PM
flyersfan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny issues

Hi Guys,
2000 Durango, 4x4, 5.9L. I start the truck, put in drive, NOTHING; no forward or reverse.
It feels normal when moving shift lever; i.e. seems linkage is still connected. Plenty of fluid, fluid doesn't smell. No CEL. Anything I can check before pulling the transmission?

Old 04-23-2013, 04:28 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Does it still stay in park when you move the shifter or will it come out of park and start to roll?

Old 04-23-2013, 04:41 PM
flyersfan

Yes, it comes out of park. We had to push to the shoulder and wait for a tow truck.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:53 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Were there any signs of problems before hand? I'd start with the basics, change the fluid and filter and go from there.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:32 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a quick check; Check your linkages to the tranny, maybe something came off and the linkage is not there to properly put the tranny in gear?

Otherwise, I would have to guess the tranny may be toast. Did you hear any brief noises and possibly a thud or pop from under the truck when you were driving?

That's what happen to me when I was driving down the highway, the truck make a light brief noise and then thud, heard a pop or something under the truck (I thought I ran over something) and the truck kinda jerked briefly then everything was smooth driving all the way home. Next day, drove to work, and as usual, I put my truck in reverse and voila, no reverse gear. I don't even hear the tranny engaging when putting it in reverse. Luckily all the forward gears still worked.

Drove it to the dealership to have it inspected and the bands for the reverse gear I assume were shot.

From there, I got my tranny rebuild by martin saine(Used to work with Dan Martin [Fastman]) in California and the tranny is now bulletproof and much stronger than oem almost less than 1/2 the cost of OEM rebuild/replacement.

Last edited by Kensai; 04-24-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:51 PM
flyersfan

Unfortunately, my 18 year old son was driving at the time. Of course he knows nothing!
I did have some electronic parts replaced about six months ago, can't remember what they were called, the guy said no guaranties without taking the whole thing apart. New fluid & filter. All was working just fine.

Quick Reply: tranny issues