1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

NEED HELP Rear brake drums dragging!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 05:48 PM
penick33
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation NEED HELP Rear brake drums dragging!

I recently did the brakes all the way around on my D, on the rear I did new shoes and hardware. When the job was complete I bled the brakes as well. It's been a few weeks since the job and I have adjusted them over and over and tried everything. SOMETIMES they drag and SOMETIMES they dont. I cant figure out why they only do it sometimes. Its killing my gas mileage and obviously not good on the drums or shoes. This is my daily driver so I need help ASAP. Thanks everyone!

Old 12-15-2010, 06:26 PM
dolittle
Veteran

I don't know if you use the parking brake. If the cable gets stuck in the housing and doesn't release will cause the rear brakes to drag.
Other then that the shoes may be hanging up on the backing plate ( a little grease on the backing plate where the shoe contacts it is recommended ) or the return springs aren't working.
You probably need to remove the drums and inspect.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:23 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

When it starts hanging up get out and feel the rim to see which one is hot. Be very careful not to get burned.

I did new shoes and hardware
What exact parts did you replace and name?

Old 12-16-2010, 10:05 AM
penick33

I use mostly parts from Auto Zone. Does anyone think that I may have a Drum not round and that may be causing the problem? I can drive out of my garage and everything is fine. Maybe five miles down the road I will stop at a light and then they start dragging, but the next light they might not be.
Duralast/Brake Drum All-In-One Kit - Rear
Duralast/Brake Shoes - Rear

Old 12-16-2010, 10:42 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It very well could be the rubber lines going to the wheel cylinders. See if you can figure out which wheel is hot (being the one that is holding back).

Old 11-08-2012, 08:16 AM
babyelephant
Amateur

Did you sort it out? I have the same problem after first-time shoe and wheel cylinder change on 1999 Durango 5,9 90.000 miles on it. All springs upgraded. I will renew the flexible hose next. Can someone confirm this hose (Wagner BH139930) is correct with fittings and bracket? I'm not able to get under car in a few days.

Link to eBay auction (you may help me consider if seller is corrcect or not-knowing which part he offer) http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAKE-HOSE-W...eef5f5&vxp=mtr

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 11-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Radar696
Rookie

I would suggest you check the hard lines.
I have a 99 D and it sounds like the same thing that I ran into.
The hard lines from the proportioning valve to the rear axle was all full of corrosion.
I was able to brake but the pressure wasn't being released.

I manually adjusted them a few times.
I just couldn't figure out what was going on and it destroyed my brand new drums and pads.

When things got really bad, aka brakes where shot I finally took it to the shop.
I had to have the lines and brakes replaced since I didn't have the time to investigate further.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:52 PM
babyelephant
Amateur

Thanks for your input, a good suggestion. The hard lines from front to rear and to the front wheels were renewed because of corrosion two years ago, but not necessary to renew the rear wheel pipes back then.

Anyway, I'll have to order the hose as soon as possible and hope somebody can confirm or decline the pic above.

Last edited by babyelephant; 11-08-2012 at 01:02 PM. Reason: added info.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:08 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the hose pictured looks like the hose for the FRONT of the truck, which side i couldnt tell you, but a hose for the FRONT brake calipers

Old 11-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Pauls 2K
Amateur

I had a 66 AMC and the right front drum would always hang up after a few brakings...Come to find out the rubber hose was bad on the inside...It was broke down inside the hose and swollen so when I applied the brakes, the brake pedal pressure forced the brake fluid in and applied the brakes but because the hose was swollen on the inside it restricted the flow back...Way more pressure applying the brakes compared to the brake hardware spring pressure pushing the fluid back and releasing the brake...So it was like I hit the brakes and did not release the front right....

Quick Reply: NEED HELP Rear brake drums dragging!