1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

i got 2 issues that i need help and advise with.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:17 AM
krupaeric
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i got 2 issues that i need help and advise with.

last week I completely replaced all my brake lines and put in new wheel cylinders spring set shoes drums pads and rotors, and when I was doing the rear I noticed that my axles on both sides had play/slop in them. like if I grabbed the axle end I could wiggle it up and down and side to side. also in and out. not much, probably a 32nd or so...
is that normal? or does that mean my outer bearings are bad and need to be replaced?
also on that note, if they do replacing, how do I get the axles out? like what are the steps I need to take in order to get em out?
my second issue is when I put my d in 4 wheel, it wont disengage unless I stop put my d in nutral shift out of 4 wheel put my d in reverse and then back in drive, then its out of 4 wheel. and my dash 4x4 part time light doesn't illuminate. is that all because my transfer case switch is bad and needs to be replaced? or what?
all my fluids are good. fresh....
as always thankyou.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:11 PM
rjtx667
Amateur

what year durango? if you have the shifter on the floor for 4x4 then you could need a linkage adjustment.

How many miles are on your durango?

Old 04-13-2013, 12:46 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

It's a 98. And my linkage was adjusted befor winter. I did that thinking that, that was the problem. But it worked so I didn't look into it further till now. It's getting warmer out now and I can work our vehicles easier. So I wanted to dig into the issues my d is having.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:55 AM
rjtx667
Amateur

Sounds to me like it might be an issue with the CAD system, or whatever its called on the Durango.

On the older solid axle trucks they had a CAD system to engage one side of the axle to the differently, it was vacuum controlled and could have issues.

I don't have a Durangoo FSM anymore, but I think I would try to look in the FSM to see if you can get any ideas of whats going on.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:42 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

My d does have a solid rear axle. But the diff isn't vaccume operated. It's a LSD. Limited slip differential. I did remove the transfer case switch and it was damaged. So I need to replace it and that should fix my 4x4 issue. The axle bearing issue is the one I'm concerened about mostly. I do believe I need to replace the bearings. So I need help with proper removal instructions.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:06 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the axles on these trucks are ALWAYS engaged to the differential, the only disconnect in the system is the t-case

Old 04-19-2013, 12:23 AM
krupaeric
Veteran

Shrpshtr I don't understand what you mean. my d is a 4x4 not awd. If your talking about the front axle then yes I know there always engaged to the transfer case but my transfer case hasn't been disengaging like it should. I believe my issue is my switch. My bearing issue revolves around the rear axle. And I need help with proper disassembly of the differential so I can remove the axles and replace the bearings that have worn out and accumulated slop causing. Vibration at highway

Old 04-19-2013, 06:03 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

krupaeric, my comment was not directed at youk it was directed at this guy,

Originally Posted by rjtx667
Sounds to me like it might be an issue with the CAD system, or whatever its called on the Durango.

On the older solid axle trucks they had a CAD system to engage one side of the axle to the differently, it was vacuum controlled and could have issues.

I don't have a Durangoo FSM anymore, but I think I would try to look in the FSM to see if you can get any ideas of whats going on.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:39 PM
krupaeric
Veteran

Ok I was confused. Lol. Makes more sense now. Still need help with the diff disassembly. Anyone?

Quick Reply: i got 2 issues that i need help and advise with.