1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Thermostat stuck closed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 01:13 AM
Durty
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat stuck closed?

Two days ago I left for work and after about 5 miles of travel I stopped in at a drive through. I had the AC on and noticed that my temperature started to climb past midway. I turned off the AC and then turned on the heat. No heat would come up but my temp. did stabilize at midway(usually runs just above cold) after I left the drive through the temp started to climb and eventually got just below the H mark and I pulled off the road. As soon as I pulled off the road the temperature immediately went down to normal operating temperature and the problem didnt repeat again that day.

Today the temperature will immediately climb to H and there is steam coming out around the cap. I cant drive for more than 2 miles or so from when it is completely cold to when it starts to get to the H. Any ideas? Stuck closed thermostat, blocked heater core hose?

Thanks

Old 06-21-2013, 11:50 AM
Durty
Rookie

Darn. No responses. Im going to change out the thermostat today and see what that does. Ill report back.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Durty
Two days ago I left for work and after about 5 miles of travel I stopped in at a drive through. I had the AC on and noticed that my temperature started to climb past midway. I turned off the AC and then turned on the heat. No heat would come up but my temp. did stabilize at midway(usually runs just above cold) after I left the drive through the temp started to climb and eventually got just below the H mark and I pulled off the road. As soon as I pulled off the road the temperature immediately went down to normal operating temperature and the problem didnt repeat again that day.

Today the temperature will immediately climb to H and there is steam coming out around the cap. I cant drive for more than 2 miles or so from when it is completely cold to when it starts to get to the H. Any ideas? Stuck closed thermostat, blocked heater core hose?

Thanks

My first guess would be the thermostat... try replacing that and cleaning out the system. if that does not help i would then looking into more costly things like the water pump..

Old 06-21-2013, 02:33 PM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran

That's where I'm different. I'd opt to change the water pump AND the thermostat since you're there anyway. Otherwise, you may have to remove the fan clutch a 2nd time just to go back and change it.

SJ02

Old 06-21-2013, 06:06 PM
Durty
Rookie

Well, I replaced the thermostat and all seems to be well. Its a decently hot day here(about 90 degrees) so I was able to run around after the change a few miles and she didnt overheat. At most she got about 1/3 up from cold. While I never completely overheated the engine, I got darn close a couple times so I am going to go ahead and do an oil change as well to be safe. It looks pretty dark for only 1500 miles since last.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:35 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

an old trick is to frill a 1/8 " in the stat to let the air bleed to from bottom to top to let it fill with water. beleave it or not this is a chrysler factory recommended mod.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:33 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Yep, I've always drilled the hole in my thermostats too.

Quick Reply: Thermostat stuck closed?