1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

anyone have airgap

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 09:18 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default anyone have airgap

Today my Durango is Pinging , I didn't hear it when itest drove it , I have the airgap on my truck n love it so I ordered it for my Durango ! Hope it gives it a goood power boost like my ram ! Anyone else do airgap or anything to reduce ping ?

Old 10-11-2013, 10:31 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Kensai is running one if memory serves me correctly. Also try the next higher octane which reduces my trucks slight ping.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:55 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion

shes in shop now i changed plugs and in shop for airgap and double rollor timing chain

Old 10-13-2013, 09:06 PM
Kensai
Champion

Airgap works great. However, I have more of a valve claddering issue only between 1200-1700rpm's when under medium load on the engine. Otherwise, no valve noise.

This issue is caused by the SCT tune from Hughes, the SCT timing is very aggressive to get the power band of the Airgap. Alot of other durango owners with custom SCT tunes sometimes get the pinging issue. our 5.9's do not have the anti-knock sensors to prevent the pinging issues.

I am going to plan to replace my CAT on my truck to see if this may reduce or possibly get rid of the valve cladder issue. In my past mopar vehicles, after changing out the oem cat for a better free flow cat, it made a big difference on engine response.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:31 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion

ya i just ordered the magnaflow cat to install. hes sending the sct in mail today i took it off my truck. i always ran the 91 tune with 93 gas on my truck. well see i suppose .

do you have the 1.7 hs roll
or rockers ?

u shouldnt have valve clatter , are you sure its not a bad lifter ,my truck had a bad lifter . i may email him real quick to tell him to lesseon the tunes

Last edited by lastrights; 10-14-2013 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:48 AM
Kensai
Champion

No, nothing wrong with truck. Other than the airgap, all internals on the engine is still oem so far.

when I had the hypertech tuner, I did not get any valve cladder. I know 100 percent these pinging/claddering issues is due to the over agressive timing from the SCT tuner on both street and racing settings. Had to get the guys to pull back some on the street tune so my valves won't cladder as much. If I restore the tune back to OEM, no pinging or claddering at all.

Again, the pinging/claddering occurs at very low rpm's when under medium or higher loads on the engine from 1200-1800 rpms. Once I get past 2k rpms, no claddering of the valves. I can also stay with a light foot and no claddering of the valves at low rpm's.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:24 AM
AppelH
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been looking into getting the air gap for my 5.2 also. I was wondering what it did to low end torque, and if it improved towing at cruising rpm, around 1800-2200. I don't want to lose torque and have to pile on the mods to get it back. What were your guys' experience with it?

Old 10-16-2013, 02:46 PM
autowizard
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to know what manifold you guys are using and where to get it.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:54 PM
Kensai
Champion

Originally Posted by AppelH
I have been looking into getting the air gap for my 5.2 also. I was wondering what it did to low end torque, and if it improved towing at cruising rpm, around 1800-2200. I don't want to lose torque and have to pile on the mods to get it back. What were your guys' experience with it?

To me, the truck pulls hard at the midrange RPM's. I notice only a small improvement on torque on the low RPM's. This is my take with everything else on the 5.9 being stock. I just have airgap and the 52mm throttle body upgrade and custom ram air intake.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:28 PM
AppelH
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its the Hughes F1 Airgap intake, or at least that's the one I am talking about. And that's good, don't need a big improvements in low end, just don't want to lose it. I saw that people should avoid doing the kegger mod if they are concerned with the low end, and was just wondering if this was the same deal.

Quick Reply: anyone have airgap