1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

how hard is it to flush heater core

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 10:57 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default how hard is it to flush heater core

not sure if i need to take it to a shop, if its easy if i can do it i will , but having no heat in the am sucks and i have a 8 month old daughter i take with me ,could it be something else other than heater core by chance

Old 01-20-2014, 11:37 AM
AppelH
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty Simple. I dont remember which hoses are which, but you need to find the two that go into the heater core. The are one on top of the other, on the drivers side of the firewall. Then find which one of the two is the outlet. This is the hose that you will hook your flush into, to go "back" through the core, hence the term back flush. You want to go reverse of the normal flow of coolant because you get a lot more crap out this way. Hook a hose up to this. I used a barbed plastic connector that we got for like garden hoses. Take the Inlet hose off, and point it in a bucket or on the ground if you dont care, so all the water you flush through doesnt get into the system.

If you want to do it well, I would actually flush through both ways. Reverse first, then normal flow direction. This is what I did. Afterwards, my heat worked great.

This whole process took my dad and I maybe twenty minutes. You actually only have to have water running through for about 30 seconds or less. The rest of it is prep time. If I made anything confusing let me know, I can try and make more sense lol

Old 01-20-2014, 11:40 AM
AppelH
Captain

IIRC, the manual we used actually was wrong and had the two hoses backwards, as to which was the outlet and which was the inlet. Just do them well from both directions to be sure, and make sure that you are flushing the crap into the bucket.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:40 AM
dxloat
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, could be a thermostat stuck open if your lucky. Happened to me last fall.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:43 AM
AppelH
Captain

Originally Posted by dxloat
Yup, could be a thermostat stuck open if your lucky. Happened to me last fall.
Good Call. I changed the thermostat, removed clutch fan, and used cardboard to block part of the radiator, nothing helped in my case except the flush. Process of elimination.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:08 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they flushed my heater core and now i have heat, they also noticed my harmonic balencer was bad it rides like a caddy now

Old 02-11-2014, 10:33 AM
dannyquest
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear.

Quick Reply: how hard is it to flush heater core