1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Possible Power Steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 02:05 PM
kirstdc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Power Steering issue

My 03 Durango which gets driven about once a week or so now did something odd yesterday. I started it up and let it warm up for about 5 mins while I scraped off ice etc in the -12 degree weather this is the first time I've started it up or driven it since Thurs the 30th of January and yes it has been super cold and snowy here in Colorado since than. No problems starting and I went on my way, got to the first corner on my drive and could barely turn the steering wheel had that problem my entire drive (luckily was only a couple miles to a dr appt and back) Husband checked later in the day plenty of power steering fluid no leaks and he had the same problem with turning but there doesn't seem to be any issue when you are going straight like the power steering was completely out. And I have driven this car when the power steering was leaking and know how that felt but this does seem a little harder to turn than it did when it was leaking. I'm hoping it's just a case of some kinda frozen power steering fluid and after we thaw out today will be better. But am worried it could be something else any ideas?

Old 02-08-2014, 08:38 PM
asphaltwarrior1
Rookie

I'm not saying it's the problem but have seen and read of the power steering pressure switch ( Which is in the hardline coming off the pump )can go bad and allow this to happen. I had the same issue when i got my Rango that had sat for several months without being driven. I pulled the switch and cleaned it real good, and also swapped out the fluid. It's a chore to get the pump reservoir empty but it seamed to make a difference right away and then within a couple days it was fine. Been over a year now and no more issues and it's not always driven either.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:02 PM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd just replace the switch. It's a $6 part if I remember correctly. It takes 2 minutes and is right there off the PS pump with easy access.

Typically when they start to to bad they also tend to leak a little

Old 02-10-2014, 09:58 AM
kirstdc

Thanks I'll check it today!!!

Old 02-11-2014, 03:45 AM
asphaltwarrior1
Rookie

I agree with Mr PublicHair.. I was and am still a Rango Rookie, but very mechanical, and should have just changed my switch as well.

Quick Reply: Possible Power Steering issue