DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Durango (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango-69/)
-   -   tps faulty or normal? electric problem (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango/373559-tps-faulty-or-normal-electric-problem.html)

snake B 04-11-2014 05:01 PM

tps faulty or normal? electric problem

ok so i have a problem here, as i post on another thread my durango 2001 4.7 is dead right now, cause my pcm had a big short inside and my durango stalled all the time

anyway, i have a remanufactured pcm and all, but im testing my wire before connecting it again

so i keep having a 4.94 ohms resistance in ALL my sensor connectors (without pcm) between ground and 5v supply, i have read my manual but cant find this info if this is normal

i tracked down and finally i found that this start on the throttle position sensor, if i disconnect the tps , all resistance goes away in all my connectors and wires, even if i connect all my sensors , there is not any resistance again, and testing directly the tps, there is this 4.94 ohms resistance between pins 1 and 3 (the ones on the sides) and checking my manual, they are the 5v supply(1) and ground(3)
checking resistances on the tps gave me this readings

the manual says
1 K7 18OR 5VOLT SUPPLY
2 K22 18BR/OR (NGC) THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
2 K22 18OR/DB (JTEC) THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
3 K4 18BK/LB SENSOR GROUND

between -------- (ohms)
1-2 ..... 4.86 closed to 0.23 full open
1-3 ..... 4.94 closed......4.94 full open (no change)
2-3 ..... 0.38 closed to 5.04 full open

this reading are consistent as i open the tps there is not any jump or sudden loss goes up and down in a consistent way, but those 4.94 ohms in all my wiring because of the tps , im not sure if its normal that the tps do this , can someone verify this, or test your tps and check if there is this resistance between pins 1 and 3, and present in all sensor connectors (the map is the easiest one and it would be between the right and middle one connector pins)

so .......... is this normal reading and behavior? or tps is shorted? ..... does a tps can get shorted and destroy the pcm?

i know i supposed to test the tps in volts, and check the feed and the output, but i dont want to put power in my pcm before i check my wiring or i could destroy it again

(i found corroded PCM ground,because as i said on the other post this make it to have very bad ground in all my connectors, this could be a part of the problem but i fix it, but now this tps behavior)

thanks in advance :icon_clapclap:

that_guy 04-11-2014 07:12 PM

I don't remember for sure what the normal readings are, but Hydra has them somewhere. They might even be in the DIY thread.

hydrashocker 04-14-2014 01:14 PM

I don't have the resistance numbers on the TPS, and right now I don't know where my Chilton's is either after the move. But the way it works is the resistance across the 1-2 as the ground is 3. You want nice smooth numbers all the way through the opening to closing of the TPS. Hopefully someone can look in their Chilton's or Haynes manuals and post some numbers. Your resistance seems a little low....IMHO....But that is a guess with no merit....LOL

Personally, I think your TPS is grounding the system, I would replace it.