1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Engine oil question

Old 05-21-2014, 01:38 AM
stickbow9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine oil question

Hello all, I know that this is usually a ''can of worms" type question, but I am wondering if there are any specific engine oils that have a track record of bad/exceptional results. I have a 2003 SXT Durango with the 4.7 @ 130,000 miles. For most of the miles, I have had Kendall synthetic blend or Castrol GTX in it. Recently I have made the mistake/decision to start learning more about high mileage oils. Over the last three oil changes, I have done Mobil 1 full synthetic and Parts Master full synthetic (explained to me that Parts Master is Valvoline). I have noticed more consumption and I have zero leaks visible. I lost about 1 qt every 2500 miles. Parts store personnel told me that these dodges burn a little oil as they get older. I never noticed this consumption until going to full synthetic. I am trying to make the best decision for the ultra longevity of my rig. Same thing with my wife's '09 charger with the 2.7 V6 in it @ 90,000 miles. I am trying to decide between Valvoline Max Life, Mobil 1 High mileage, and ???????? I never liked Penzoil,for no other good reason than people bashing it, but their marketing makes me feel as thought their high mileage oil is pretty good.
I don't mean for this to start flames, but I am just wondering what Durango and 4.7 owners have to say?
Thanks.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:48 AM
gvsu4msu
Professional

I have a 2003 SXT with the 4.7 w/ 169K and use the Max Life. I have always run "partial synthetic" in my vehicles with good results. Never saw a need to go full synthetic. Partially because once you do, you cannot go back.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:26 PM
stickbow9

Thanks, I am probably going to start using the Max Life product myself. Another friend of mine had some good things to say as well.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:20 PM
DyingBreed
Professional

Originally Posted by gvsu4msu
Partially because once you do, you cannot go back.
That is simply incorrect.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:31 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, i have been using Valvoline full synthetic in my 5.2 since i bought it 4 years ago without issues.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:26 PM
Ellez

In looking up oil problems I read about Mobil being really bad. Now I wish I could remember where I saw that.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:41 PM
T-Ram
Rookie

Mobil 1 is all we use when servicing Mercedes-Please do let me know if you found any thing negative associated with it-

Old 05-28-2014, 12:25 AM
akuser47
Rookie

well I worked for ottawa oil an affiliate of shell oil, and took many classes on oil and it's so called benefits. this is the key high milage it has expansion ingredients to help seal weak seals n such. even in your piston rings it is beneficial! Thus the high miliage it is called. Full synthetic has high detergents that can make leaks and weak spots that have been sealed by dstandard oil sludge leak and burn more . because it is designed to flow not seal so stick with high milage if over 75000 as most high milage oil is designed to help from this point on. It has added stuff for the weaker seals and such.

Last edited by akuser47; 05-29-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:02 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain

4.7l 172,000 and i only run Mobil 1

Old 05-28-2014, 01:23 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I use Mobil One Fully Synthetic High Mileage in my rigs. The base oil is Polly instead of Hydro Crack like in Valvoline and Pennzoil. It's the same Polly that Red Line, Royal and a few other use but for a much better price.

Partial Synthetics are "Blends" which are a sales gimmick flat out. I've talked about this heavily in many threads so I don't feel like re-hashing it back out when people can read what I've posted already. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...wers-faqs.html

To label Fully Synthetic it must have more detergents in it, which clean the motors better. Down side is that if you have been running conventional oils they can cause build up in various parts of an engine because of ware or leaky seals. Then you use a Fully Synthetic and it goes in an cleans out all the build up and guess what you get?

Unlike most of you I've actually completed the tests and mic'ed out my motor. With running Mobil One Fully Synthetic for 100k changing at 7500 intervals and 60% hwy and 40% city my motor mic'ed out at brand new specifications. I use it and use it in anything I'm able period!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine oil question