1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission starting in 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 11:46 AM
Cptomlinson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission starting in 2nd gear

2001 5.9l Durango

I have an intermittent issue with the transmission not shifting to first gear when coming to a stop. It feels like it is in 2nd gear when I take off. If I manually shift to low it goes into gear. All other gears are without issue. I can go several days without it happening. Anyone ran into this problem?

Old 01-03-2016, 12:25 AM
T1MZ

Originally Posted by Cptomlinson
2001 5.9l Durango

I have an intermittent issue with the transmission not shifting to first gear when coming to a stop. It feels like it is in 2nd gear when I take off. If I manually shift to low it goes into gear. All other gears are without issue. I can go several days without it happening. Anyone ran into this problem?
If you have the 46re trans I would suggest changing the govenor pressure solenoid and transducer. Both parts should be easy to replace without having to pull the valve body but together will run about $100 - $150. These parts are the most common problem with the 518 series trans. If you do have to drop the valve body cause I can't remember if you do, PM ME BEFORE YOU DROP IT and I will share my little trick to feeding the parking rod in past the parking pawl. It will only work before you pull the vavle body because it involves they way you place the vehicle on the jack stands.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:50 AM
Cptomlinson
Default 46RE(2001) Durango 5.9

Thanks for the reply. The issue seems to have taken a break. Not sure if it is due to the cooler weather or what. But it does happen one in a while. Like once on the last couple months. However, a bigger problem seems to replaced it. The transfer case randomly engages. I had to unplug the electrical connection from transfer case to stop it. Any ideas??

Originally Posted by T1MZ
If you have the 46re trans I would suggest changing the govenor pressure solenoid and transducer. Both parts should be easy to replace without having to pull the valve body but together will run about $100 - $150. These parts are the most common problem with the 518 series trans. If you do have to drop the valve body cause I can't remember if you do, PM ME BEFORE YOU DROP IT and I will share my little trick to feeding the parking rod in past the parking pawl. It will only work before you pull the vavle body because it involves they way you place the vehicle on the jack stands.

Quick Reply: Transmission starting in 2nd gear