1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 Durango 4.7 Suspension Repair

Old 04-21-2017, 06:01 PM
imusorka
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. They are not priced as junk. Has anyone ordered Moog parts in the past 3 years? I have read that their quality has gone downhill following the recent move to China. Not sure I can justify the cost if this is so.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:21 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every suspension part I've ordered in the last 3 years has been moog for both my trucks. And just rebuilt an entire front end of my inlaws jeep commander with all moog. I haven't had a failure yet but time will tell. I have heard the same as you heard about moog, but I also know that a lot of people assume that quality goes down just because manufacturing plants move to a different country. May be true in a lot of scenarios, it is not true for all scenarios.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:23 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran

And once again, I was very surprised with how cheap the parts were on Amazon. Usually with moog they are a little more than half what they are at a parts house. Rebuilt the Jeep commander front end for like $270 I think

Old 04-22-2017, 11:37 AM
imusorka

Rock Auto works out to be $90 cheaper than Amazon in my case. Do you know anything about ACDelco Professional parts? Many say that their quality is better than OEM (read Moog). I'm also curious as to why everyone on this forum prefers the Energy Suspension bushings. I appreciate that poly is more reliable than rubber but it also makes the ride harder, doesn't it?

Old 04-23-2017, 08:36 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran

It didn't make mine ride any harder. I had energy suspension bushings pressed into my control arms. I still have the lowers but the uppers didn't last a thousand miles. The bushing collars were sliding back and forth in the control arms. Like they were to small of diameter for my control arms or something. So I went and pulled some control arms from the salvage yard and pressed the bushings out myself and pressed new moog bushings in and put 2 tac welds on each bushing collar. The problem with poly bushings is if you don't put grease zerks on your bushing locations or if you don't use enough poly grease or it dries up or something, your truck will squeak forever. It's incredibly annoying. I'll never put poly back in for that reason alone

Old 04-23-2017, 09:46 AM
imusorka

Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like my choice of Moog rubber bushings is not bad after all. What shocks have you used over the years? Last time I went for Monroe. Now they offer OESpectrum and Gas-Magnum options. Any idea as to the difference between the two? What would be better for our SUV?

Old 04-23-2017, 11:48 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by imusorka
What shocks have you used over the years?
I bought a set of 1 yr old Bilstein's from another Durango buddy back in 2002. After 10 years and 90,000 miles in 2012, I saw one was a bit wet, so I swapped them out for a new set ($288, Summit). I couldn't tell the difference after putting the new ones, meaning the 10 yr old Bilsteins were still doing fine.

I remember a performance example from back in 2002... with the less than 1 yr old stock Durango R/T shocks, when I took an 270° exit ramp off the freeway at a reasonable speed, the rear end would want to fishtail out every time I hit a bump in the ramp. After those 1 yr old Bilsteins were put in, that stopped, the rear end was solid in fast turns. I'll never buy cheap shocks.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:11 PM
imusorka

I bet Bilstein is good at $80 a pop! Shame all my budget goes towards Moog suspension parts now. Guess I'll have to settle for Monroe Gas-Magnum at $119 for a set of 4. If someone has had any bad experience with these, please do let me know.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:03 PM
Pspklutch
Veteran

Bilstein all day long. I only have them on the front for now. But the rear will get them as well. My pickup came with Bilstein 4600 series from factory in 2001. Now in 2017 and 163,000 miles I'm finally starting to notice the rear end stepping out around corners. Very impressive for a pickup due to the lack of weight over the rear axle. From now on, I will wait and save my money to get Bilsteins. I have read that if you're the original owner, Bilstein actually will warranty them for life. Sadly I am not the original owner of my pickup or I would look into this.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:03 PM
imusorka

Any advice on tie rod bellows? So far I've only found ones by Centric.

Search this Thread