1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

New Member - 99 Durango 5.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 05:48 PM
DerekJR321
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member - 99 Durango 5.2

I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm glad I found this forum as I've been having all sorts of wonderful problems with my truck.

I'm driving a 1999 Dodge Durango SLT 5.2L 4x4 with 107k on it. So far since I bought the truck, Ive had to replace the following:
  • Both drive axles
  • Inner tie rods
  • Idler arm
  • Front brakes & rotors
  • ALL brake lines
Right now it is currently in the shop having the brake proportioning value replaced. I've never owned a Dodge before but I'm reading now that the brake system basically sucks on these trucks? I've had pretty much all the common problems it seems. Plus my glove box handle broke. Another common issue I've read. And I think my rear ABS sensor is bad so I'm replacing that.

It seems you guys on here really know your stuff so I'm sure if I run into any new problems I'll get a straight answer!

Thanks!

Derek

Old 11-08-2017, 09:52 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Design wise there aren't really issues with the brakes, more so them being on the small side for a big suv.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:14 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replaced my glovebox handle 3 times. In between times I just put a ziptie in the metal piece that operates the latch. They all broke in the exact same spot so when I got the third one (all from the salvage yard) I used jb weld and globbed it on heavy around the braces that always broke. It’s lasted much longer now and still works just fine. And yes, the brakes are under sized for these. They finally did them “right†in 2003 immediately before redesigning the entire truck for 2004.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:32 AM
DerekJR321
Amateur

Had to have the Master Cylinder replaced yesterday. Aside from the rear drums I basically have a whole new system (minus the booster).

As far as that glove box handle, I can't seem to find one anywhere local to me (I live in Suffolk County, NY). Apparently the Durango wasn't a popular car on the Island. My local junk yard closed down a year ago which stinks. I was going to buy one off ebay but they want like $40. Not sure if that is a "good" price for one. I wish I had a 3D printer. I could just make a cad design of the stupid thing and print them out when they brake.

Derek

Old 11-10-2017, 09:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekJR321
Had to have the Master Cylinder replaced yesterday. Aside from the rear drums I basically have a whole new system (minus the booster).

As far as that glove box handle, I can't seem to find one anywhere local to me (I live in Suffolk County, NY). Apparently the Durango wasn't a popular car on the Island. My local junk yard closed down a year ago which stinks. I was going to buy one off ebay but they want like $40. Not sure if that is a "good" price for one. I wish I had a 3D printer. I could just make a cad design of the stupid thing and print them out when they brake.

Derek
Could probably make money selling them on ebay for cheap too...... I hear 3D printers are getting less expensive.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:54 PM
DerekJR321
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Could probably make money selling them on ebay for cheap too...... I hear 3D printers are getting less expensive.
I'm seriously considering it. I'm very good with 3D apps like 3DS Max and AutoCad. I think I'm gonna see if I can find a good printer that won't break the bank.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:43 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a 3d printer. It's an xyz davinci that I've modified. If I was getting a printer now it'd be one of those creality cr10 ones.