99 Durango 5.2 Questions re: New Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 10:08 AM
DerekJR321
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 99 Durango 5.2 Questions re: New Issues

Hello again,

I'm sorry to keep posting with my issues. A new one just sprung up recently and I have a question about an old one. I figured I would throw them into one post so I don't clog up the forum. I quite like this truck and really want to get it running properly but I just keep running into problems. Here is the new one.

A few days ago I was driving and suddenly the "Check Engine" light started flashing. After about 10 seconds it stopped and went solid. So I pulled over and scanned it. It only showed a P0300. So I cleared it and it didn't come back up. This morning it did the same thing. It was a cold start and I didn't let it warm up (was running late to work) so I figured maybe that was the cause. However, on the way home from work it threw codes again. This time it threw P0300, P0304, P0306, P0308. I honestly didn't notice any problems while driving. Granted, I feel the truck is lacking power but maybe its because of this? The truck only has 108k on it.

Please tell me I can fix this with a simple plug / wire replacement... please

My second issue is that the truck needs a new steering box. The steering wheel has a good amount of play and the truck wanders while driving. A shop told me I needed one. Question one: How hard is it to swap out? Is this something I can do myself or should I have a shop do it? Question two: I seem to only be able to find rebuilt Cardone boxes (besides a new one from Mopar for near a grand). Is Cardone okay? I've heard mixed reviews.

For the record, this is the work I've done to the truck in the last 2 months...
  1. New Front Brakes & Rotors
  2. New Front & Rear Shocks
  3. Replaced Idler Arm
  4. Replaced Inner Tie Rods
  5. Replaced ALL Brake Lines
  6. Replaced Rear ABS / Speed sensor (stupid ABS / Brake light is still illuminated!)
  7. Replaced Master Cylinder & Brake Proportioning Valve
Eventually I would like to beef up the engine as best I can. I figured I would start with all the bolt on's and then move to the heads / cam / etc. Sorry for the long run down, I just figured maybe it would help diagnose any issues.

Thanks for reading,

Derek

Old 11-27-2017, 10:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

All of your misfires are on the even side of the engine. (passenger side bank) That in itself is suspicious....... Think I would start with checking plug wire routing, if they are old/original, replace them. Next thing to check would be the intake manifold. They are notorious for blowing out the plenum gasket (two-piece intake, there is a steel plate on the bottom.) giving you a lovely vacuum leak. Open up the throttle body, and peek down in there, see oil pooling? That's a blown plenum gasket. Pull a couple spark plugs on the passenger side as well, see what they look like......

Don't bother with the cardone steering boxes. Most of them will be worse than what you are replacing. Go with a Redhead, or Borgeson steering box. Yes, they are more expensive, but, they have a MUCH better reputation, and their rebuild procedure is a lot more involved.

You *could* try adjusting the existing box first though...... Keep in mind, there are TWO adjustments you need to do, and having the box sitting on a bench makes it a LOT easier.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:23 PM
DerekJR321
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply HeyYou. Do you know how difficult it is to remove / replace the steering box? Engine stuff I am competent enough to fix, but I've never messed with any drivetrain stuff. All the things I listed in my original post were done at a shop. Thanks for the heads up on the brand. I've seen Borgeson and Redhead boxes for sale online so either I'll get one of those, or make sure the shop does.

As far as the plugs go I will pull them tomorrow and see. There is some weird sleeve I'm noticing on my plugs. Not sure what that is. Hopefully they aren't as hard to replace as the ones on my old Hyundai Santa Fe were (had to remove the whole intake manifold just to replace the odd plugs).

I'll update when I get those plugs out. I really appreciate the help.

Derek

Old 11-27-2017, 08:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Steering box can be a pain, but, that's mostly because of where it's at.... and some of the parts hang on REALLY tight.... they've been there for a while, and are quite reluctant to let go. If you have decent hand tools, and are liberal with the chemicals, (PB Blaster is my personal favorite) it's doable.

Keep in mind, the Borgeson box wants an adapter, or different shaft to install it, RedHead is a direct swap.