1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

01 Durango starts and dies electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 01:43 PM
kivioja
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 01 Durango starts and dies electrical issues

A friend n I are having a hard time trying to figure out his 01 Durango. Currently it just starts and dies 30 sec.- min. later with security key issues. It always had a slight miss and code for no.2 injector circut open. The following chain of events oddly enough started when he went and changed the radio and the radio and the radio wouldnt shut off with key once done but the prior radio did. Right after that or during the process while getting in and out of it the alarm went off for the first time ever doors were all unlocked and everything but it still would start and run. I thought he wired something wrong for the radio part and it got double tripple checked and isnt and used those aftermarket plugins to the factory harness and it had a aftermarket radio before no problems. That same morning it ran went for a ride then it did the first started for min and died and said no bus a couple times then started and stayed running. It got drove around for a day or two and worked but the radio wouldnt shut off with the key and the miss got a little worse. He has for parts another 01 Durango that has been getting stripped of anything good and the 4.7 from the parts one is the motor thats in the one driving. They both are 01's all the same options except the newer aquired one that got the motor has heated seats and the overhead console and the chipped key. Since the miss got a little worse decided to try changing computers because the injector 2 cir. open and I had previously checked and ohmd out the wiring harness between the injector and computer and it was good and inj. was geting power. Since it has the chipped key and other doesnt we figured if took everything off the nonchipped one should be able to not have to worry about having anything programmed. We took the pcm, tcm, and the ctm/bcm out of it and put them in and it would start then die with i believe a flashing security light. The brief min it runs it did sound better and the inj. no 2 circut code was gone. Figured it was a issue with the key so figured switch all of them back to how it was since cant just try the computers that way and it still does the same thing put back the way it was. We started checking all wires and connections cleaned up all grounds and added a couple thinking about how it started with the radio checked in the fuse pannel and there were 3 fuses that had power with the key off and the had about a volt less than battery voltage and the radio was one of them. The fuse for turn signals, radio, and the other one right in line of those 2 dont remember what one it is sitting here. Started pulling fuses and wanted to figure out were power is coming from and it turns out it is coming from the turn signal fuse and feeding the radio and the other. Thinking must be a short somewere because its less than bat voltage and its backfeeding into it i guess could say one lug for fuse has 12 v keyed and the other one that should be leaving the fuse going to the load in circut is the one that has just under bat. voltage. I think there all connected since all started at same time. Cant find any short but cant find a good wiring diagram either, We took the colomn out of the other one and put it in with all computers it again and still currently wont stay running and says no bus. Some times had security light on, sometimes off, flashing, tryed reseting everything and comb. of things immobilizer pluged in and unpluged. With the now no bus tryed checking crank, cam, tps, etc. under hood. Both were running durangos. Not sure what to think or were to go with this. Any help would be appreciated...

Quick Reply: 01 Durango starts and dies electrical issues