1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Timing Chain Cover Re-installation and Bottom Gasket Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 06:53 PM
fcastro
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Timing Chain Cover Re-installation and Bottom Gasket Question

Hi all, so I am in the process of doing my plenum gasket on my 01 5.9 R/t due to the oil leak. I decided to do my timing chain since I am ***** deep into the engine. Question, the bottom oil pan gasket from what I am seeing is 1 piece with 4 sides and mine is looks ok not torn after taking my timing chain cover off. Now when I put my timing cover back ok what should I do? Should I lift the gasket part that is contacting the pan and put RTV below and then put RTV above and then set my timing chain cover back on? I don't want to have a leak after getting everything back together.

Timing Chain Cover Re-installation and Bottom Gasket Question-durango-180120_190302.png

Last edited by fcastro; 01-20-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:20 PM
Johnboy52
Amateur

Gaskets compress over time and the rubber starts to harden slightly. If I was that deep into a major repair, I would seriously think about replacing that gasket. The price of the gasket wouldn't be worth the labor to redo the whole repair.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:31 PM
fcastro
Professional

Problem with that is the oil pan gasket is 1 piece so I would have to drop the oil pan gasket from the bottom. only that top inch on each side and the "u" is showing. Dropping the oil pan gasket on this truck looks like a major pia. Don't think it can actually be taken off without major pain.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:48 PM
Johnboy52
Amateur

Originally Posted by fcastro
Problem with that is the oil pan gasket is 1 piece so I would have to drop the oil pan gasket from the bottom. only that top inch on each side and the "u" is showing. Dropping the oil pan gasket on this truck looks like a major pia. Don't think it can actually be taken off without major pain.
Sorry I assumed the gasket was the old 4 piece style.

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Cover Re-installation and Bottom Gasket Question